Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do I stand a chance or more?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aniri

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Do I stand a chance or more? Reply with quote

Hi all,

First of all I would like to say a big THANK YOU for the wonderful job you are doing here! I found a lot of valuable advice and information.

I am seriously considering moving to Prague and having a 100% lifestyle change. Right now I am managing the operations of an online business in Bucharest.

I noticed that most people coming to Prague and looking for an English teacher job are native English speakers. Where does this leave me, a Romanian girl that has learned English as a second language?
I have finished an English highschool, I have a University Degree in Law, a Master Course in Business Law and 4 years of business and management practice. I will also get my Trinity Tefl in Prague and I hold an EU passport.
What are my chances in getting a good job as a teacher in Prague?
Do I stand a 50/50 percent against the natives or my chances are much less than that?
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say - give it a try, if you haven't got too much to lose by leaving your old job, or you think you could in the worst case scenario get it or soemthing equivalent if Prague didn't work out and you needed to go back.

What are my chances in getting a good job as a teacher in Prague?

What do you consider a 'good job?' Most all English teaching jobs in Prague pay subsistence wages, and strongly feature travel around the city to the offices of your students, sometimes starting early in the day with a break in the middle, and continuing after business hours. It's tough, and that's because there are so many newbie teachers in the city - the sheer numbers of new teachers available keep wages down and competition fairly high.

As for being a non-native speaker - in the bigger world there are advantages and disadvantages, and a well-qualified non-native speaker can certainly compete on an equal level with native speakers. I work with mostly non-native speakers (but not at the newbie level, mind you!!) and they are definitely my equals - and betters sometimes:) in real terms.

But the reality you will be dealing with is a non-native competing on a very tight market with lots of native speakers at a newbie level. Honestly, it may be quite tough.

If you can give it a try without too much risk, go for it.
Aniri

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Spiral78! I am aware that competition is high, especially on the entry level. Also, I know I am not used to running around the city everyday, from morning to night, but I will just compensate this with the beauty of the Golden City Laughing
When mentioning a 'good job', I mostly thought of a reputable school that would pay 800 E to 1000 E for a full time position and offer some perspective that would not make me wanna go anywhere else but there Laughing
Does this seem feasible to you?
Aniri

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention that I will be renting my place in Bucharest, so rent in Prague won't be an extra expense for me.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When mentioning a 'good job', I mostly thought of a reputable school that would pay 800 E to 1000 E for a full time position and offer some perspective that would not make me wanna go anywhere else but there

800 euro would be at the very top end of the net range after taxes for fulltime and overtime teachers in Prague. 6-700 would be more realistic.

So far as working much to keep their teachers happy - remember this is a market that is regularly flooded with newbies. Turnover is huge - the schools don't really need to worry about keeping teachers in general. Not to imply that there aren't good schools in the city that do care about teachers, but don't expect much special effort to keep you/keep you happy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: