Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Applying for an NI number

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
curveegrrl

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 7:43 am    Post subject: Applying for an NI number Reply with quote

I'm going to the UK to teach at a summer school. I can only assume I will need an National Insurance Number. How does an individual go about getting one? I imagine I won't be able to get one umtil I'm in the UK, but I won't be arriving very long before my job starts. Is there anyway of starting the process (making appointments, getting needed forms) from outside the UK? How long does the process take?

Thanks!
grahamb

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 8:53 am    Post subject: NI number Reply with quote

Check with your future employer. I imagine they'd arrange it for you.
gugelhupf

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Inland Revenue will sort out an NI number once the initial paperwork is completed between yourself and th employer. See http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/cnr/p86_dom1.htm for details of the forms you will need to fill in.
b-boy

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy,

Your employer will give you a temporary NI number when you arrive. If they don't know what it is then you can make it yourself. TN (Temporary Number) + 6digit date of birth + M or F depending on whether your a bloke or a bird (I never use this word myself). So your TEMP NI number will look like this: TN310375M .

Know that you will be taxed at the highest percentile but once you have your National Insurance number interview, and they send you out your actual real number 6-8 weeks later, you can tell your employer and the government will give you back the money they'd taken from you.

I had to organize my NI interview myself. You can do it at a Job Centre Plus near your home or your job. The interview itself was painless. They asked me for my passport, and my work permit. No blood and no declarations that I wasn't a terrorist.

The one thing I would try to organize before you come over is a bank account. I wish I had. Thomas Cook can set it up for you, I think.

Hope this helps.

b-boy
curveegrrl

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your help! This is exactly the stuff I wanted to know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: