Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jobs outside of Santiago?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamieldavidson

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:42 am    Post subject: Jobs outside of Santiago? Reply with quote

I am in Ecuador working on a CELTA. I will have completed it mid-May and will head down to Chile.

First of all, does anyone know if there are jobs available this time of year? What is the best way to secure a position?

Can I show up without a visa and still work it out?

I would prefer to work outside of Santiago. I would LOVE a smaller town that is oriented toward outdoor activities, or at least somewhere that I could go on a hike or just be outside. Does anyone know of towns/schools that might be a good fit?

THANK YOU!!!

Jamie
MagicScottish

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jamie,

I'm in a similar boat to yours and have the same questions. Looking for a smaller town especially. Did you ever find the answers you were looking for? If so, I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know. Thanks!

Scott
Dia

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working outside of Santiago means a large decrease in what you can charge/get paid, as a generalization. Big cities like Vina might allow you to find decent opportunities, but small towns probably have a pretty big risk as far as what people are willing to pay and how many people are interested in taking classes. Depending on the size, you might not even be looking at towns that have institutes already set up, willing to hire you and sponsor you in the visa. However, not always the case.

There are some places I have heard of or been to (though havent personally tried a job search) where I think it might actually work out. For instance inland cities such as Los Andes or San Felipe have branches of university campuses and a large enough population for some demand of English, though a complete smaller town feeling. Again, enough to make it? I couldnt say...

To answer your questions... yes you can just show up and then get the visa. It might take some looking around but there are institutes and companies willing to help you go through that process.
In my experience there is at least some work to be had all year except summer (dec-feb). This time of year should be an OK time for finding something as second semester is starting in a month or two at most places.

One place I think of as particularly outdoorsy is Pucon because of adventure sports, but really most of the mid to smaller range cities should have some outdoor possibilities nearby.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: