Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any know anything about Sochi?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dan

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: Any know anything about Sochi? Reply with quote

can anyone comment on this city?

also: I was offered a job at the "The London School" for around $500 plus accomodation. has anyone heard of it? I have an MA in TESOL from a US uni - is this a decent offer given the cost of living in this particular city, my qualifications, demand for teachers, etc?
zaneth

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. I'm not in that area but if it's outside of moscow that sounds like quite a reasonable offer. The MA might not increase the offer much in outlying areas. It should help in various ways (respect of native colleagues for instance).
khmerhit

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the moonpie allowance--how much is that? Laughing
zaneth

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, you won't need moon pies in Russia.

Though there's no accounting for food nostalgia.

Hmm, I'll have to go looking. Maybe I should bring my own turtle. Like in Blazing Saddles: "Nobody move or the N***** gets it!" And I'll have to try not to be distracted by the curious questions when I pull out my entirely too big swiss army knife and start looking for the right blade. "Hey, I've never seen one that big! How many tools do you have on that thing anyway?

Welcome to Russia, Dan! Or could someone actually have the audacity to fashion an entire country experience as a troll?
dan

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd imagine there are some places in russia where dudes can get a serious workout, no? some of those russians are pretty intense about smashing it, almost fanatic. a little much for me...
Communist Smurf

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a gym in the Embassy that's open to non-Embassy employees. I'm uncertain of the requirements, but you have to be either an American or affiliated with an American company. I'll warn you now though that the fees for non-Embassy employees are steep and you pay for a whole year in advance. Other fees include deposit and you pay for your own background investigation. It's perhaps one of the nicest gyms in Moscow.

I find that many Russians do take the weight room very serious.

If you're interested call (095) 728 5000 and ask for AECA (American Embassy Community Association).

CS
zaneth

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude! You guys have a weight room in there? It really is just like a prison!

I guess it makes sense, I just never would have put the two thoughts together.

There was a weight room in the basement of my building. Soviet style public fitness "club." Maybe a little like a YMCA weight room. I never quite figured out how to use the place, where to sign up, etc. But I believe it was free or extremely inexpensive. There were also some wiry old guys playing ping pong like they meant it. Dan versus the wiry ping pong playing old guys. I wouldn't give him good odds. They're fast and they know how to work together, and they have the staying power.

I was wondering how Dan would find the weight lifting community here. Would probably make an interesting contrastive sociological study. I imagine a lot of them got into weights in the military (compulsory service). Pretty much all the guys I know are student types (one of the dodges) and I doubt they lift weights. So it'd be a window on a different world for me.

I'd be interested in hearing about the scene here. Dan, dare to lift weights with the locals, it should be interesting. Though you might meet some interesting characters in the embassy.....

How far is Sochi from Moscow, anyway? (interesting, that instead of simply looking at a map I use all this technology to ask someone else to look at a map).
Communist Smurf

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't you ever seen the Embassy? We have our own city block (almost). Atleast 75% of the city block belongs to the US and it's a very big block at that.

For a number of reasons your thinking is a bit flawed on why Russians take weight lifting serious.

1. Look at all the other countries that have compulsory military service. I lived in Italy for 3 years the men are about as big as the women.
2. I don't know the numbers, but many Russians tell me very few Russians living in Moscow actually do their service. They pay money to doctors to say they're medically unfit. Despite so many of them not doing military service, they're still pretty big guys.
3. Look at most men in the American military. And these are people that volunteered for the military.
4. Although I don't actually know this, or have even asked a Russian this, but I doubt they are even provided good facilities (or even nutrition for that matter) to stay in good shape. Ok, I just asked one and she said "mostly no."

In order for me to call my response good constructive criticism, I should come up with an alternative answer to why Russians lift weights more than most others. But I don't have an answer.

The only thing I know about Sochi is that it's a resort. I heard that it's a lot like Crimea, but the sea is very dirty there.

CS
zaneth

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, right. Sochi. I know where it is. Never been there.

I've been to the Embassy, though. The last time was even a vaguely pleasant experience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: