Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

when did taiwan become a country?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[][]

Last edited by jason_seeburn on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Libertarian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think that Taiwan would be better off with the Chinese, perhaps as an independent province with minor ties to the mainland. It is in almost total anarchy right now politically speaking anyway, so perhaps a mainland Chinese connection would give it stability

That would be music to Beijing`s ears, but the truth is that Taipei and Beijing politically are moving further apart and that union is less likely than ever before. Having lived in both places, I can assure you that PR China is anything but stable and that a having of current GDP would trigger another revolution. Taiwan is on the right track with it`s democratic development. The only way that Taiwan would become a province of the PRC empire is involuntarily through the use of force.
killian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jason,
please refrain from the personal attacks. i don't know you from adam.

the sooner the people of taiwan acknowledge that they are under the aegis of the US the happier they'll be. there need be no declaration. the papers already exist and lead a clear path. taiwan is an insular area of the US governed by proxy.

the leadership of china is aware of such. naturally, they don't reveal it to the masses. would you? the people of taiwan have a limited opportunity to grab the benefits accorded americans. it behooves them to take them.
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[][]

Last edited by jason_seeburn on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[][
True. Probably the best thing for the island is a peaceful transition to sovereign statehood.

Last edited by jason_seeburn on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
killian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's OK my canadian brother. it is OK. gege is here to cover you. rant and kick all you want. when the work needs to be done we'll give your army a ride to where ever it needs to go.
killian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

of course, that next question will be: is canada a soverign nation? not with the queen as the official head of state.
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[][]

Last edited by jason_seeburn on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[][]

Last edited by jason_seeburn on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
killian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, WHEN did taiwan become a country? a date, a year would be nice.

the next time the texas oil boys and their war making hardliners consult me, i'll be sure to let you know. painting the vast majority of american as cohorts of Dr. Evil is easy, but wrong. please condider seeing us as hapless stooges...more like the bumbling henchmen of the penguin that 89 lb. robin used to knock out.

we all can play the "hate america" game. but let's fine tune it just a bit...down to "hate the oil boys", eh? JFK was all for scaling back in viet nam. he got killed. in comes LBJ (a texan) and vietnam "goes off". for about twenty years after LBJ...america was had to resort to secret wars (that many americans still know nothing of). nixon,ford,reagan...none of em realy had wars to call their own. poppy bush (long time texas resident, in with the oil boys) comes into office...IRAQ 1. brushed aside is the fact that Kuwait was stealing Iraq's oil. Iraq even went to the UN to stop them. Clinton was a "lover, not a fighter". Junior Bush, the third texan president in my lifetime...and viola...the third texan president has a war to call his own...Iraq2/Afgahnistan/???.

yeah capitalism sucks. please remind me of the other options?

america is so evil. why do domany canadians flock to live along the US?candian border?
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[][]

TaoyuanSteve

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we all keep discussions here centered around English teaching in Taiwan? I'm not sure how Americans and Canadians trading barbs has anything to do with the main topic of this thread (or this forum for that matter). My only comment would be that I can see how the extremist, anti-American views of some on this forum contribute to the resentment that some Americans feel toward us (Canadians).
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[][

Last edited by jason_seeburn on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
TaoyuanSteve

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have something to say about life and work in Taiwan, I'd love to hear it. However, there must be forums on the net somewhere else where you can air your prejudices about other nationalities.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: