Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Work visa

View previous topic :: View next topic  
melizabee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Work visa Reply with quote

Hello,
I am wondering if someone could give me some advice.
I am attending the American University of Cairo, in their MA TEFL program starting this fall. I would like to work part time, however, my Egyptian friend told me that you cannot have a work visa and a student visa at the same time.
Does anyone have any insight into this? Or, can you please give me some advice as to where I should call to find out this information?
Thank you so much in advance.
- Melissa
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you a paying student or a Fellow?

I was there as a Fellow in the mid-80s, so I was teaching at AUC while I studied, but... shhh... don't tell a soul... most of us did private lessons on the side. I can't tell you how many people I know who have been living in Egypt for years... more than 20 years some of them... on tourist visas. But, they seem to be paying their bills. Work visa? Only those with legitimate foreign hire contracts have work visas provided by their employers. (do be a bit discreet though... and try not to make any enemies of your neighbors. Cool)

Enjoy your time there... there will be big challenges, but I also found great rewards.

VS
nstick13

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's an Egyptian work visa?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Yes, nstick, they are a rare thing in Egypt. But contract teachers at AUC have them... and I suspect that those with foreign hire contracts at BC do too. Let's see... there must be others. Oh yes, CAC provides their teachers with them.

Even at AUC, it can take more than one semester for it to trickle out of the Mogamma. But, they are nice to have as you get local prices on some things... like flight tickets... for both local and foreign travel.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: