Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some information or warnings would be nice.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 4:43 pm    Post subject: Some information or warnings would be nice. Reply with quote

I just got back from Korea, so if I sound paranoid, you'll understand why.

I gotten a few offers from the following organizations and any information, good or bad, about them would be great. Each of their websites are vague and pretty much the same as the others.

-Kohgakusha Co., Ltd.

-Matty�s School of English

-JTE Recruitment/Terry Hasinoff

-These last guys offered me a job in Yamaguchi (Where in Yamaguchi they didnt say) and their "hurry up and decide" tone reminds me of a Korean hagwon so I need to know more about them : American Language School

Any help would be appreciated.
george printer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The American Language School is an Eikaiwa just like the rest but most of the time the students are young children or JR high kids. Some adults and college students also.

They will probably want you to work without a visa, which is your choice. They will tell you it is okay but really it isn't.

You should ask them if it is a franchise school. If it is then you won't have to worry about as many rules and regulations, also if you will bew the only teacher at the school there will be a lot less paper work thansome other eikaiwas.

I currently work there and it is okay. My friend's JET job is much better but I can tolerate mine. Also they will provide you and apartment which is nice but you don't have a choice if you don't want one.
matko

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey William,

Me again Smile

ALS is an ok company. The problem is that they have many franchise schools. Franchise schools don't have to follow the standard ALS contract. Trust me. I worked for them in my first year in Japan. The school I was at had the highest turnover rate for teachers, but they were the highest profitting franchise school in the company.

It SUCKED. The many ways that they ENDENTURED teachers made Korean bosses look like Anne of Green Gables Rolling Eyes

If you want to know more pm or e mail me.

Good luck, bro
azarashi sushi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently went for a couple of interviews with Kohgakusha. They basically seem OK... young staff, friendly enough, seem very comitted to education and have many resources. They have a few divisions... I don't know which one you're interested in... I checked out the kindergarten job. The pay is good... 290 000 and not so many contact hours... But LOTS OF TRAVELLING... The schools are all located about an hour and a half away from Head Office, which is located in Shinyurigaoka ( 30 mins by express train from Shinjuku ). Often you have to go to head office first and then the schools or vice versa. You have to carry all your resources in a large bag with you... So very high on the inconvenience factor.

They're very much in to Hi NRG "power" teaching... I watched one guy do three very short lessons... He couldn't speak afterwards. Although the lessons looked like a lot of fun, I think you would be totally totally drained by the end of week. Also, it's very high on the repetition factor.

The help you organise accomodation ... They put up the money for deposit, key money etc and then you pay it back in monthly installments over 48 months. If you only work there for one year, then you would only pay 12 installments.

Hope this helps.

A.S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: