Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

An Australian/Argentine working couple in Japan?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sasha

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 7:02 am    Post subject: An Australian/Argentine working couple in Japan? Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I have some questions about teaching in Japan.

I am 25, Australian, an ESL/EFL teacher with 3 years experience. I have a BA (linguistics) and the RSA CELTA. My wife is Argentine, speaks English fluently (many natives here in Sydney can't pick her as a foreigner), she doesn't have a university degree.

We are thinking about going and teaching in Japan for a year or 2. We both like Japanese culture and would like to experience living there. We also have a Aus$150000 mortgage, and would like to pay all or a some of it off! We figured that 2 people , living in the same room, should be able to save quite a bit of money.

My wife has permanent residency in Australia, she will receive an Aus passport in 3 years. Do you guys think it would be possible for us to go and teach in japan now? As she doesn't have a Aus passport or a uni degree i don't htink she can get a working visa. is it posible to get a spouse visa (if i get a working visa) and come with me. She could teach Spanish (if there is a market!) or English.

I would love some basic advice. I suppose we could go in 3 years when she has an Aus passport, i suppose it would be easier then. However we would rather go now if possible. But her Argentine pasport and lack of uni degree makes her less employable! She is not interested in hostessing at all.

Any suggestions on what we could do? Thanks for your help, i know this is a bit of a rambling post, but any advice you can offer would be great.
azarashi sushi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a year or two you wouldn't even come close to paying off your mortgage... if that's you're primary concern, I would sooner stay in Australia... You'll have quite a few set up costs at firsts and to save to any subsatntial amount of money, you will have to make quite a few sacrifices... Easy in the short term... but starts to drive you mental after a while. Especially since I'm guessing your wife might have a harder time getting a job than you.

Just pay off your mortgage over 25 years or whatever and enjoy your life. If you do really want to experience Japan, make sure you are coming for the right reason... and do your research. Otherwise, you'll go mental.

A.S.
Glenski

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sasha,

You're right about one thing. Without a bachelor's degree, your wife can't get a work visa. Her citizenship is a bit out of the ordinary, so I can't give any clearcut answer, but you may have to try a working holiday visa for her. However, that has a time limit that may not be compatible with a working visa (what you are eligible for). Check into this.

Also consider that if you get a work visa, she may have the eligibility for a dependent visa. I don't know if they will give it to her with that slightly odd citizenship situation, but ask.

A spouse visa is for non-Japanese people who are married to Japanese.

You are also right in saying that a couple might be able to save more than an individual. That goes without saying because you will be splitting the rent and utilities and phone charge. However, in your special case, I don't know how to estimate what your wife could make. If it was anything close to a salary that you could make, I'd have to say you two could save about US$1000 or more per month. You realize that a lot depends on where you live, how much you pay in rent, and your lifestyle.

Best of luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: