Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Updated info on AUC/Housing in Cairo

View previous topic :: View next topic  
copacbl

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Updated info on AUC/Housing in Cairo Reply with quote

I�m wondering if anyone has new information on the TEFL Program at AUC and housing options for a young, single woman in Cairo.

-How is the TEFL program at AUC now, have they overcome the adjustment to new campus?
-Is it possible to get a fellowship as an American with beginner Egyptian Arabic language skills, but less than one year of experience?
-What kind of accommodations would one be able to afford on the fellowship housing allowance and stipend?
-Would I be able to find/afford housing with easy commute to the city center and New Cairo campus? Which locations would those be? I don�t know how I feel about living in Rehab or other locations close to campus. Besides a short commute, are there any benefits?
-What is the current price range for a furnished apartment that�s a short distance to main street and/or metro (not necessary)?

I�ve read some earlier posts on the subject, but I�m wondering if that info still holds true. Thank you!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the university link for the Fellowship:

http://www.aucegypt.edu/admissions/gradadmissions/finsupport/Pages/TEFL.aspx

There is no Arabic required to get the Fellowship... I knew about 5 tourist phrases when I arrived. After that the students and taxi drivers taught me everything I needed to know. Cool You would need to apply between Dec - Feb 1 for the following September start.

I think the worst of the moving trauma is over... though my guess is that problems still exist and I know nothing about the housing situation. You would have the option of the hostel on campus which would be very convenient for at least the first semester. I would look around on Facebook to find plenty of whinging students. Laughing And for a look at how creative they can be... there are lots of videos too. ...in a google, I found:

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/American_University_in_Cairo_%28AUC%29

... which gave me a good laugh and a reminder of the Egyptian sense of humor.

From my experience, don't expect the stipend and housing allowance to cover your costs if you want to live alone. For the first year, the total pay covered ONLY my rent, and I supplemented it with money of my own to do things like... eat... pay for taxis... etc. And it was a flat with no AC or washing machine or TV. By the second year, my private students covered my costs.

For the first time since I left Egypt after finishing my MA in '88, I don't have any friends teaching there, so we will have to see if someone drops in with experience on the new campus. I too am interested to hear what is going on for housing.

VS

BTW... if you are in the US, they have an office in New York City and you can call and ask them about the program and housing and such.
copacbl

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:54 am    Post subject: Additional income supported or frowned upon? Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, VS. That's helpful to know that I should probably have ample savings to supplement my housing and other living needs.

I've scoured the AUC website pretty well. I also looked at the fellowship application with has a clause specifically for the TEFL fellow applicants.

"TEFL fellowship ONLY: If granted a fellowship by AUC, I agree to inform AUC immediately if I am awarded and accept any other assistance or employment during the period of my AUC fellowship."

http://www1.aucegypt.edu/academic/gradstudies/fellowapp06.pdf

I wonder if they would reduce your funding if you take up side work?

As an American without teaching experience in the Middle East or to Arabic speakers, would I even be a competitive applicant?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Additional income supported or frowned upon? Reply with quote

copacbl wrote:
"TEFL fellowship ONLY: If granted a fellowship by AUC, I agree to inform AUC immediately if I am awarded and accept any other assistance or employment during the period of my AUC fellowship."

I wonder if they would reduce your funding if you take up side work?

This is rather a standard type restriction in all expat teaching contracts... at least those that I have seen for the Middle East. It is mainly referring to getting an outside job - say at a language school - and you would be working illegally on their student visa - which only states that you work for them while you study. If they wanted to, they could keep you from taking private students too... but nearly everyone does and I have never heard of any repercussions. In fact, I found most my students through staff at AUC, who asked me to work with their high school kids and their friends to prep for the AUC exam. I was discrete about it and didn't put up signs or anything.

This also seems to preclude your getting an education loan in the US, which you would be eligible for because of its accreditation. I took one out and just banked the money in case of emergency and then paid it off before the interest and payment clicked in after graduation. You would have to ask them if they allow this now or not. If you are interested...)

copacbl wrote:
As an American without teaching experience in the Middle East or to Arabic speakers, would I even be a competitive applicant?
I will give you the same answer that the woman in the New York office gave me when I told her pretty much the same thing. All I had was my student teaching 15 years before and about 6 months volunteering in Fairfax County Adult Ed... one trip as a tourist to Egypt... and a Palestinian friend who had taught me a few Arabic phrases before I went on that trip.

She said... paraphrasing "... Apply... What do you have to lose? Only the time it takes to fill in the application. Some years the applicants are good and some years they are bad." I actually ended up being the first alternate. But I took the train up to NYC and attended TESOL that year... met a bunch of AUC people at the conference... and was notified a couple weeks later that they had added me.

I suggest that you check around the US as was suggested on the other thread and apply for more than one. For instance, I recall that there used to be a program at Georgetown University in DC that a friend applied for, but didn't get accepted. There are probably many more as they are a cheap way to fill their IEP programs with basically free teachers.

VS
copacbl

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: VS is the truth! Reply with quote

Yes, you're right! It can't hurt to apply. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

It's comforting to know that tutoring on the side is an option.

Thanks again!
nstick13

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may find a link and start a new thread asking to be stickied about this, but if you're going to Egypt for ESL, get on the Cairo Scholars Listserv via the University of Texas. Last I knew (a couple months ago) there were some 2,500 people who were from abroad or Egyptians who had traveled abroad. It was the second best resource I had in Cairo--the other being my English-speaking Egyptian roommate.

This will help so so so so much with housing.

Do some Googling.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt that they would allow a sticky referring people to another forum... why would they divert their traffic? Laughing

OK... I joined it, but I don't see any explanation of how to use it. Could you send me an email about the resources there?

VS
nstick13

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gah---how time slipped past me.

There is a HUGE difference in what that thing is and what ESL Cafe is. An e-mail listserv lets you send out e-mails to everyone who is on it. And then people reply to you in e-mails, or to the entire list.

Okay, maybe the medium is the only thing that's different.

Either way, it was a much more important resource for me in Egypt than Dave's was, mainly because it caters to any type of foreign student/professional as apposed to only ESL teachers, and is moderated by a University Professor in a not-for-profit manner.

Okay, so maybe their are big differences.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah... I dislike those old style boards based on emails. That is how this "conversation system" started back in the mid-90s with the TESL-L CUNY board. Very cumbersome and difficult to involve a number of people in a discussion as a board like this can do.

But, sometimes you have to use what's available... if the people running it are not tech savvy enough to set up a basic board like this.

VS
nstick13

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was there, there simply weren't the funds to set up a board like this.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A basic Yahoo group, which is free, would be more easily accessible and you have the option of reading online rather than getting emails. And if the numbers are relatively small, there are free board systems out there similar to this one that can be kept private access.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: