Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chatteris GELTA program in Hong Kong....can you help?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
koochoo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject: Chatteris GELTA program in Hong Kong....can you help? Reply with quote

Does anyone know anything about the Chatteris GELTA program in Hong Kong? I`ve applied and been refused because I`m apparently over qualified. I`m 27 and hold a bachelor in poli sci. But no teaching certificate. All I have in terms of teaching experience is 8 months in Japan. Am I really passed date for this program? Does anyone have anything to suggest (ie. some other program I should be applying to?)

Thanks
once again

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never heard of this program..could you tell us more about it..and what does GELTA stand for?
growler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: GELTA Reply with quote

Graduate English Language Teacher Assistant
growler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: GELTA Reply with quote

Information can be found at this website

http://chatteris.org.hk/home/modules/csections/index.php?op=viewarticle&artid=125
ChrisRose

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It means.....

General English Language Teaching Assistant. "WOW!"

They are the poor under paid sods who spend hours printing out teaching aides. Usually local undergraduates.

The course does not qualify for NET or PNET.

Basically what it appears they are doing is, some form of in-house training, then acting as an agency hiring undergrads to schools to do the work of a defacto NET.

Seems like a nice opportunity for forign undergrads, gets native speakers into schools, but can't find any reference to thier training programme.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Roger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read in SCMP some three years ago about Chatteris; apparently a volunteer organisation by local expats to help local Chinese.
They may offer pay on occasion, but they are not, as far as I know, a professional outfit.
Marcoregano

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chatteris also arrange and manage positions for gap-year students from the UK, USA and wherever.....I did a story for the SCMP on gap-year students in HK a few years ago. If I remember rightly, although the gaps were having a good time, they didn't think much of Chatteris.
combchick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a NET in HK. I heard about Chattertis and ELTA's a few months ago. Our school is thinking about employing an ELTA from this organization. I asked about it and the locals told me it's mainly young gap year students, or those who've just finished a degree. No actual teaching qualification but they are native speakers. They are paid peanuts and live in some kind of hostel/share accommodation. I also heard that some schools who employ two EMB NETS are now thinking of just employing ONE and getting any other native speakers from this Chattertis ELTA scheme. It's a way of saving money and exploiting these young people. This is what I've heard. Shall wait and see whether our ELTA in fact appears at my school. I will be the last to know.
Freddie_Unbelievable

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It's a way of saving money and exploiting these young people." Really?

Giving a young graduate employment is hardly exploitation.

Are you the second NET?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: