Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Military Work really DOES stink
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
run-jp

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:33 pm    Post subject: Military Work really DOES stink Reply with quote

A cautionary tale-
I wondered why, before taking this job, some of you disparaged this kind of work. Now I know. All those nice looking things in the contract : air travel allowance, completion bonus, etc. are not part of my employers largesse but required by saudi labor law. My employer, working very closely wth the Royal family, received over $100,000 million EXTRA through the Pentagon to maintain our military training program, house us in a safer compound, beef up security at our work base, buy new many vehicles (huge bombs aren't good for vehicles), moral support for us, the personnel.

so not only are we still waiting for the contracter and the Sauds to quit arguing about the details of the compound, but we don't even have decent tires on half our cars Rolling Eyes We had 3 flat tires in about 8 days, none in traffic, hamdulleh! Our boss is this worthless USer who s been in the company 12 years and can't do anything else in life and always takes
managements (mercenary) side in all disputes. The top management gets
big bucks for .....uh.... having us wake up on time, stay till quiting time....oh yeah, and not getting us killed....well .....keeping most of us from not getting blown up, at any rate.
The best way to do this, we are told is to always keep our mouths shut,
so when i tried to take my brand new TV back to a Riyadh shop (no Multi-system as promised) i was told I created a big security risk for all in the car and shop by arguing with the stupid clerk over the return(less) policy, and that I'd be formally reprimanded if anything like this happened again. Shocked

another BS point is our ISP "provider" that I can rarely connect to even in the a.m. hours. Bukra insha'llah. so i end up paying for net time thru another.
i guess Mr Craw**** made a good move by not signing here.
and i guess this stuff is typical of crappy mil contracters, huh? Mine was supposed to have a good repuattion. maybe it is just that the others are worse.
i am curious to know what ther teachers are coerced/forced into driving to work. can this be legal? so far i ve escaped it. I willnot drive in the conditions that existed 2 days back in Riyadh when we saw 4 or 5 jack-knifed trucks (3 places) and who knows how amny dead on 20 miles of road. The old oil floating up and the panicky drivers was the worst road condtition seen in my life Sad Al Qaeda is not threat #1, for sure.

so be careful before signing or agreeing to drive. Drive safe everyone and if you want 25% off a nice, new Phillips tv in Riyadh PM me.

Cheers,
Mr. Hunkered down in TCN town
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:44 am    Post subject: military jobs Reply with quote

WE TOLD YOU !

I work in a civilian setup and it is much better!
Pilot in Command

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious...does the name of your employer begin with the letter "V"? I understand if you don't want to confirm this.

Thanks.
Mark100

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure what you are complaining about it sounds like you got one of the good contracts!!!!
ohman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently working a military contract, one that is advertised about every eight weeks or so on this site's job discussion board.

If the pros and the cons were thorougbreds crossing the finish line, there would be a photo finish with the pros winning by a nose based on the sweet salary package.

Last week, the officer in charge of the operation held a brief meeting that had nothing to do with curriculum; everything to do with our responsibilities vis-a-vis late students, sleeping students, etc. The students' non-academic shortcomings are 100% the teacher's problem. As this brief meeting concluded, the Saudi honcho asked, "Any questions?"

I said, "Yes." And proceeded to ask a couple of relevent questions like, "Can we depend on classroom leaders to assist?" or "Can we offer some sort of incentives to encourage student coopertaion."

He looked at me like I'd just micturated on his favorite rose bushes.

"Any questions" as it turns out means "shut the eff up and get back to work."

Point of anecdote: The M.F. in charge has no clothes.

I think that pretty much says it all about military contracts.

I'd like to add, that the Saudis, their contractors, etc. may still feel we are back in the day with human waves of infidel clamoring over the walls trying to earn the big bucks. But this isn't the case.
manonatrain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: ah the wine in the me Reply with quote

AHHH the wine in Saudi may be alcohol free but it
certainly sounds like WHIIIINNNNNEEE WHINNNNE
mommie mommie i just wanted to make 3000 dollars a month tax free
and live like a King in a muslim country....whine whine whine...

And now I have a flat tire...boo hoo...and i want the house with the REALLY BIG POOL

Whine whine..whine
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that the above post comes from one of the worst whiners on this board, we can safely discount it.
ohman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleo,

whiner and winer. Only a booze addled brain often resort to caps for emphasis when lacking the necessry words to participate in thoughtful discourse.

My prayers are with the poster and I hope he finds some serenity sooner than later.
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Don't misunderestimate me! Reply with quote

Ohman,

Methinks you are 'misunderestimating' manonatrain!

Not only does he know how to work the CapsLock button, but he's a dab hand at italics too!
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that "manonatrain" also knows where to find the sidiki salesman - and makes frequent visits !

For those innocents who have not come across sidiki, it is moonshine, white lightning, bootleg booze.

Saudi is full of people who thought they could come here and dry out in a dry environment. The reality is that booze is everywhere - if you want to find it.

Last edited by scot47 on Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:13 am; edited 2 times in total
ohman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:43 am    Post subject: How we used to be Reply with quote

Scot,

I'm just glad I don't have to react that way anymore. I may not have been very good at balancing a checkbook, but when it came to targeting someone else's inventory, I was an expert.
manonatrain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject: love and hate Reply with quote

Ah so nice to see the MAN ON THE TRAIN fan club back
in full swing.

I don�t apoligize for the Wine or the Whine...but this thread doesn�t fall under the usual valid grief stricken scenarios which I am sympathic to.

Love and Hate are the same n�est pas....

I once again must say I fully respect those working in the ME...
but this WHINE was vinegery.
ohman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoken like a gentleman, sir.
Paul in Saudi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee, I am working on a military base and having a great time.

I must be somehow, wrong.
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: A Fortunate Man Reply with quote

Dear Paul in Saudi,
"Wrong" - not at all, of course. But in my opinion, decidedly a rare specimen. You are the very first person I have ever heard speak positively about working for the military (and, over 19 years in the Kingdom, believe me, I heard literally hundreds of teachers who'd "been there, done that" talk about their experiences.) My very sincere congratulations on your having found a position with the Saudi military that so counters what's usually the case.
Regards,
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: