Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best place to run a private language school?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
formulaic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Best place to run a private language school? Reply with quote

Hi,

I taught in Korea for the past three years and almost bought a half share of a small language institute at the end of my time there. I decided against it in the end and have since left Korea with no plan to return there. However I am very keen to start my own language school and as such am considering which country would be a good place to commit to in this way. The countries I am currently considering taking my next job in are China, Japan, Vietnam and Indonesia. Wherever I go I will be taking a University or language school job and keeping an eye out for good opportunities to open a language school either independently or with a like minded local.

Any suggestions of which of the above countries (or others) would be best for my endeavour would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Ben
Glenski

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wherever I go I will be taking a University or language school job
That's quite a difference! Are you even qualified for university work? If so, why would you look at eikaiwa jobs (in Japan)?

Here in Japan the market is really competitive with far too many teachers for the number of jobs right now. Setting up your own school (officially and legally, I presume, not just some freelance lessons, but correct me if I'm wrong) is a risk. A big one. Everyone is struggling here.
formulaic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am qualified to teach in Universities in some countries and not in others - I have a BA and a CELTA. Japan is probably not somewhere I would think of opening a language school, due to high real estate costs/rent (but perhaps a foreign language school owner in Japan could suggest otherwise?)
Justin Trullinger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having run (not owned) a language school for a number of years, I have to say that the idea of setting up and owning my own school, to me, would be around Dante's seventh circle of Hell.

I also have a colleague who, having been a very successful teacher and teacher trainer for a number of years, started his own institute. And lost his shirt in less than 15 months.

I'm really not throwing stones at you- just pointing out: Small private language schools are very common in many countries, and usually they don't last. It can be an easy business to open, and an easy business for the market to kill.

I might suggest that you look for ADOS kinds of positions; get some admin experience. Get to know school owners who you like and trust, and get their advice.

THe skill set needed to run a school is a LOT different than that needed to be a successful teacher.

Be sure you're well prepared for what you're getting into. And think about why. Do you really have a desire to own a school? Or is it economic? (If it's the $$, know that a teacher can earn as much or more than many owners, playing the right cards.)

Best of luck, whatever you decide.

Justin
Serious_Fun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure that you always have some extra cash on hand for bribes if you open a school in Vietnam or Indo. Very Happy
tttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to visa and foreign investment restrictions the best choice for opening an ESL/EFL school would be in your country of origin.
markcmc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned and ran a language school with partners for 8 years before selling my share. It's hard work, and remember that in some countries - like China - you are only allowed to own 49%. You would need a Chinese partner, and this partner controls everything.

So check the legal situation, and choose partners carefully - as I did.
markcmc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tttompatz wrote:
Due to visa and foreign investment restrictions the best choice for opening an ESL/EFL school would be in your country of origin.

Yes, but if you are an EU citizen you could also open a language school anywhere in the EU; apart from Greece, which places restrictions on foreigners, even those from the EU.

Not that anybody in their right mind would set up a language school in Greece at the moment.
markcmc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin Trullinger wrote:
Having run (not owned) a language school for a number of years, I have to say that the idea of setting up and owning my own school, to me, would be around Dante's seventh circle of Hell.

For me it was more like Dante's Purgatory. The part of the mountain where everyone is carrying heavy stones on their backs.
scooby doo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen to Justin, he has good advice...

Quote:
I also have a colleague who, having been a very successful teacher and teacher trainer for a number of years, started his own institute. And lost his shirt in less than 15 months.

You have 3 years' experience in the industry and that may not be enough. Also, local knowledge (of the market, the costs, etc) is an important factor so you need to be in one place for an extended period of time.

Quote:
Small private language schools are very common in many countries, and usually they don't last. It can be an easy business to open, and an easy business for the market to kill.

It takes awhile to start earning back the initial investment. Reputation and student numbers take time to build no matter how talented your team is and in many places the competition are well-established chain schools.

Quote:
I might suggest that you look for ADOS kinds of positions; get some admin experience. Get to know school owners who you like and trust, and get their advice.
And read everything you can about small business administration and other related topics.

Quote:
THe skill set needed to run a school is a LOT different than that needed to be a successful teacher.

Accounting, marketing , customer service, HR policy, local laws and regulations, managing skills...

Quote:
Be sure you're well prepared for what you're getting into. And think about why. Do you really have a desire to own a school? Or is it economic?
Yes, be prepared is the bottom line, don't assume that because you have seen others do it badly, that you can do it better.

My partner and I had a combined 15 years of experience and local connections and we were lucky to be in the right place at the right time. We both worked 18-hour days for the first 2.5 years. It can be highly rewarding but we often wonder in hindsight if we would've still embarked on this venture, had we known how difficult it was going to be!
markcmc

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scooby Doo - Where is your school? Are you still working at it?
scooby doo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indonesia. Still working; it's a bottomless pit. Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining. In the long run it can be pretty rewarding professionally especially if you enjoy a steep learning curve.
formulaic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your thoughts.

Yes, it is not something to be considered lightly. The business I almost bought into was being run fairly successfully, but one partner wanted to return home, so it is this type of business that I would probably be on the look-out for in the near future.

For those who have taken the plunge thanks for your advice and I hope it continues to go well.
TwinCentre

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there

I think bricks and mortar language schools are old hat and in today's saturated market, can be financial suicide.

I think it is better and more progressive to think more in terms of a 'training service' than a 'school'.

You don't need a large premises, but you can send teachers out to companies etc. They can be far more profitable.

I wrote this article a while ago about how to work towards setting up your own language training service, might help:

http://www.articlealley.com/article_1421977_63.html
gaijinalways

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember reading this before. The biggest problem is retaining students, so if you can manage that, then it should be 'easy' to slowly add more students and 'grow' your business. I did it in Hong Kong for a while, but when my local partner pulled out, my visa went with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: