Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your Legal Hammers in Kuwait

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poetic Justice

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:08 am    Post subject: Your Legal Hammers in Kuwait Reply with quote

Although my employer, Al Marefa, was obligated by contract to provide my plane ticket out of Kuwait, I was fed excuses and had to endure stall tactics for a over a week after my final day on the job. I then realized I was being played for a fool, so I called my embassy in Kuwait City. The kind, knowledgeable American I talked to told me about the Office of Social Affairs and Labor in the BehBehani Building, a place I luckily never had to visit. I didn't have to visit this office because my embassy made a phone call to Al Marefa's rulers and they cried uncle. My ticket was in my hands within a half an hour after I sicced my consular on them. But some of you may not be so lucky. You may have to fight for what's rightfully yours by contract. In that case, a trip to the BehBehani building is in order for you. A word of warning if you're dealing with the US embassy--do NOT leave messages for the consular on voice mail or with a native Kuwaiti. The consular will never get those messages. Insist on speaking directly with an American, no matter if you'll burn through as much as 4 KD while waiting. Kuwait is an expensive place, after all.

Good luck and be safe out there.
15yearsinQ8

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good for you
this is a busy time of the year for any embassy and most embassy staff have the perception that serving expats is an interruption of their job instead of BEING THEIR JOB

most expats who get bullied by their sponsors do not know the legal options
the mosal - ministry of social affairs and labor - is the place to start to file a complaint/start a case against your employer
they surprisingly act quickly, fairly and there's always an english speaking staff around - be patient and you'll get what you want
newinSeoul

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a really important thread! Part of me wishes I would have went to the Ministry of Education or my embassy, because of the lies I was told, and working illegally for most of the year. I'm sure I could have left with more money, and possibly got the school (A'takamul International) in more hot water.

Lying about serious issue such as the school telling you before you arrive that you'll be given a work visa(permanent residence) a few months after you arrive, and then being lied to again about getting it next month, and the month after, and then never being given a permanent visa is a huge deal that the ministry of education would like to know.
Starfell

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will.
And they will have proof.
newinSeoul

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^Really? How so?

I don't think I told you about this starfell, but a month before I left, the principal came into a meeting I was in, and told all of us who did not have residency to go and hide in the staffroom. Apparently, the admin told all of us on tourist visas to go and hide because the ministry was at the school looking into the possibility of illegal maids at the school. There were around 30 of us hiding out in the staffroom for over an hour.

Another incident happened when our staff bus got hit on the highway. We were told as we waited on the side of the road that we could not say where we work, because we legally don't belong to the school. We would have been deported. There was at least six of us on the bus that were on tourist visas.
Starfell

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL yes I heard that NewinS- but someone must have 'someone' in their pocket at the MOE. How can you 'hide' 30 teachers without raising suspicion?
Who did they say was teaching the classes!!!
newinSeoul

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^I don't know, but something seems fishy there. While everyone was hiding the assistants were taking the classes. Even when teachers are sick, the assistants seem to teach (which would be illegal in many other places). I do know they are very scared of the ministry, hence why we had to hide. It's the parents that need to know the story imo. Also why are there are so many unqualified teachers there? I guess it is Kuwait, and they can get away with legalities like that. I don't think every school is run this illegal and corrupt. From what I have heard from others that work within Kuwait.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: