Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Contract Changes By Al Marefa

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuwait Teacher

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:29 am    Post subject: Contract Changes By Al Marefa Reply with quote

People are attempting to make out that Marefa wanted them to sign a terrible new contract upon arrival. This is not the case. They asked them to sign a contract that took out the 150KD housing allowance. Now, don't get me wrong, they changed the contract, the naughty boys, but the change was minimal. The company claimed that we were supposed to have made a choice about claiming the allowance before we flew out. I don't remember this being asked. Anyway, it meant that we were now unable to claim it, and were "forced" to live in the housing provided. One guy had it put back in because he felt that it was a matter of principle. Good on him. He stayed in the company housing anyway. Sure, it was a bit dodgy, but hardly signing away a kidney in return for half the salary. I signed it because I didn't want the hassle of finding my own place and, as a result, making my own travel arrangements. Mind you, if we want it for next year, we can have it. Half the staff, who worked here last year, claim it.
The gym took a while to appear. This is also true. Then, surprise, surprise, practically nobody used it. The pool is not an Olympic sized pool, it's only 10 meters long. So those of you who feel that you cannot live without a pool to train for London 2012, shouldn't come.
Some people are clutching at straws to make Marefa out to be total b*****ds, they're not. They're alright. I'm happy to work for them. And, before anybody suggests otherwise, my contract is the same, I just don't go off like some anally retentive union rep at the first sign of a "breach". Maybe some of them wanted to be lawyers but couldn't get on the course and found themselves with the next best thing; A TEFL teacher. Every day they get to make deliveries to the "jury" proving their case beyond a shadow of a doubt.
You'd think these people had only ever worked for wonderful employers in the past, and had perfect contracts. So, why did they leave these jobs to come and work in Kuwait for Al Marefa if they had it so good working for all some brilliant company elsewhere?
The important stuff in the contract was kept intact. In fact, I just found out that we're being paid a bonus plus our holiday money. I thought it was only one payment covering both. So, the "dodgy" contract I signed, actually gives me more than I previously thought.
So, another category of person who might reconsider working here is the anal retentive wannabe lawyer. All we want are normal people.
By the way, as I write I'm hearing more about the cuts and redundancies being made in the western world. Terrible. However, there's no recession here. Life goes on nicely, thanks very much.
(MOD edit)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: