Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AAG -American Academy for Girls-KUwait
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reality is that in most of the Gulf, it is rare to see a contract before arrival. And to waste the money to have some lawyer in the US look at it is actually a bit laughable. The contract is nearly always signed after arrival and is a document that I never bothered to read anyway. I checked only the sections that mattered. Did the salary and benefits match my offer letter? What is the process for end of contract? Other than that, any little rules in there are for you to follow if they decide to enforce them... and the part that refers to them is pretty much optional. While there are labor laws that are enforceable in these countries, it is usually too expensive to fight it... and can take a number of years... so basically if you don't like it, you leave. This is why it is very important to check out the employers very carefully. I stuck to the major universities and talked to current teachers to see what was really going on. Going into the schools is a real crapshoot as so many of them are so shady and abusive to their teachers.

Over the years on this board, those that are overly concerned about contract bits end up never going because this ain't the US and it doesn't work like the US. You either accept their system or you don't go.

VS
Sam.Paints

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: AAG Reply with quote

VS-

Thank you for the insight-After reading what people have posted on this board, I researched AAG and after much advice from both lawyers in the states and a few good friends abroad, I made the decision to look elsewhere for a job to teach. In your opinion what is the best school in Kuwait to teach at?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find out what school the embassy staff is using... that will be the best choice in any of the Gulf countries. Hiring will be very competitive and you will need a related degree in Education along with a teaching certificate/license from your state.

VS
Warning Bells

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked in a few countries throughout the Middle East and every single time an offer was made they followed up immediately with a contract. AAG is the only exception!
scienceguy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: AAG Low Literacy Rates and Few Textbooks Reply with quote

Taught at AAG. The school is filled with privileged kids riddled with very serious behavior problems for which the only thing done about it is a spray of hot air out of the administration's mouth. They want their money, conduct is not important. The high school students read at 6, 7 and 8th grade levels. The kids going there are well-off but there are only old texts which most have already read or tried to read. Textbooks are 12 or more years old and are marked up. You will be asked to teach subjects for which, out of your own pocket, you will be expected to copy worksheets out of a single text or workbook or off the internet. Printing facilities are at the school but good luck getting anything printed. Being able to print in mass is impossible. Keep away, all the teachers there are stressed and they have a very low retention rate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: