Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

giving notice on flat in germany

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dismus

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: giving notice on flat in germany Reply with quote

In Germany it is a legal requirement that you give 3 months notice on your flat.
I do know that if you join a gym, for instance, on a 24 month contract but move something like 30 kms away you can cancel your contract. Likewise, if you move out of the country on a 24 month internet contract you can also cancel your contract (by giving your new address.)
The question is, does this possibility arise also with renting property?
Thanks in advance.
Hod

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: giving notice on flat in germany Reply with quote

dismus wrote:
In Germany it is a legal requirement that you give 3 months notice on your flat.

It depends on what the contract says, but three months is normal.

Like most things in Germany, it must be done in writing, and it really is in your interest to do so. There are anecdotes of landlords claiming letters arrived late or not at all, which is why Germans normally send such letters by registered post (per Einschreiben).

Three month�s notice might not be so terrible if you have to move out earlier. The landlord should let you find a �suitable� follow-on tenant (Nachmieter), although he�s under no obligation to accept anyone � and as he still has your three month�s deposit, why should he? It will be a bucket load of work on your part.

It�s not all grimness. The horror stories are probably due to misunderstandings as opposed to rip-offs. I pay �30 a year to be in a Mietverein (Tenants� Association) which sounds sad and probably is, but they have legal types who will help you out.
dismus

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, and nothing sad about it at all.
There must have been quite a few teachers who have come here and lasted only a short time and forced to fork out for three months. Not nice and not, in my opinion, just, 3 months is too long. However, it is what it is, punto.
Hod

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are other options.

Serviced apartments offered by companies such as Arwobau. These are furnished and rented on a monthly basis, which should mean a smaller or even no deposit. Obviously, they cost quite a bit more too.

Flat sharing in a Wohngemeinschaft (WG) is common in Germany. I�ve outstayed my welcome here and couldn�t imagine sharing an apartment with a German, but it can be very cheap � I saw a mate�s place in central Berlin which was really nice, and he was only paying �250 a month � and contracts will be more negotiable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: