Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Integrity?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tubanator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Integrity? Reply with quote

What are the standards of academic integrity in Kuwait? What does it take for a student to fail or pass a course?
I ask as a relative TEFL newbie whose SE Asian experience has involved "no student fails no matter what," and I am curious where in the world it might be possible to find a decent gig without compromising my own academic integrity.
Many thanks.
Middle East Beast

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, based on my experiences in KSA and especially in the UAE (at HCT), don't look in the Middle East. Never had experience in Kuwait, but I'd be stupefied if the situation were any better there.

MEB Cool
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's their ball and their court... whoever pays the salary sets the standards. That said, it depends on the employers. There are employers who do allow you to fail students. But even then, you may find that their standards don't match yours.

If you feel that you would be unable to adjust to a different system or different standards, you might want to stay away.

One good possibility with American accreditation and standards is the American University in Sharjah in the UAE... and probably not bad would be the American University in Kuwait. Others use similar names but not standards. For both of these places you would need a minimum of an MA plus a few years of teaching Academic English at university level. It is very competitive and difficult to get hired at both of them.

Each country also has one or two good International Schools that maintain standards for the home countries of their system (US or UK). It is where the embassy kids go to school. For these jobs, you will need a teaching cert/license to teach K-12 in your home country and a few years of related experience. These jobs too are very competitive.

But these are the few places that I can think of that might be close to the standards you seem to want.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: