Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Political climate

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jenngalla

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Political climate Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm thinking of going to teach in the Ukraine but I don't know too much about the country and it's politics. Can anybody fill me in on the political climate out there at the moment and whether/how it affects life there?
JLL

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(bump) I'm curious about this too; what is it really like in Ukraine at the moment?
charlesinukraine

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough question that needs to be be clarified. Are you asking if Ukraine is safe? that foreigners won't be harassed?

In a nutshell, the Party of the Regions won elections and has majority in Parliament. It is (more) closely aligned with Russia. Ukraine has formally renounced its desire to enter NATO. It also extended its agreement with Russia for use of Ukraine's port for Russia's navel vessels. Both of these are in opposition to the western leaning parties that lost power. The International Monetary Fund (IMF) is getting tough with Ukraine and the country's dismal record of implementing reforms. From what I've read if Ukraine doesn't implement reforms the IMF won't provide Ukraine with the next tranche of loans. Most of this information can be verified in any newspaper such as the New York Times.

I've been in Ukraine for eight years arriving in the Kuchma era. I sense a movement back towards those times. Given politics and the economy it is a country that is not necessarily stable.

I hope this sheds some light. If you are concerned Poland is next door as well as several other great countries.
coledavis

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a lot of demos a couple of days ago, with four cars full of policemen parked a little way away from one of them. Whether or not this is likely to have an impact on foreigners is uncertain. I haven�t had any problems. Such dangers as there are are more likely to stem from economic polarisation. I.e. I think crime is more of a hazard than political disorder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Ukraine All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: