Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Retiring to UK after Teaching
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the desert but counting the days until 11 November when I fly back to my semi-tropical paradise in the Estuary of the Clyde.
Kipling

Location: ...Ah Mrs K peel me a grape!!!....and have one yourself!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:18 am    Post subject: Return of the Native Reply with quote

Wear a poppy!!!

Mr K Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will leave the glorification of imperialist wars to others.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those looking at getting a tenancy in Scotland could start by googling

Housing Associations in Scotland

Last edited by scot47 on Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you can forget about "Social Housing" south of the Tweed thanks to the new ConDem government

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11570923
Dedicated

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scot47,

Don't rely on Scotland remaining untouched re: social housing. On 7th October, Alex Neil, (Housing Minister) announced " The squeeze on public finances will impact on the delivery of social housing in Scotland".

Rents are to rise sharply for new tenants of council housing. The average rent for a 3 bedroomed social home is �85 a week, but under the plans that could triple to �250 a week or 80% of the market rate.

The UK's public debt interest repayments now total �120 million a day or �43 billion a year. The government says the cuts will allow it to reduce the public debts and trim debt interest payments by �5 billion a year by 2014. The alternative to cutting??....to raise taxes.
Hod

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sidjameson, I appreciate you've not had happy times of late, but

sidjameson wrote:
Of course the worry is that the Uk will ... have changed the system where the a pensioner with nothing can get decent housing and about 550 gbp to live.

(apologies for selective quoting)

You know as well as I do, such miracles will never happen. The UK now has a deficit of over �100 billion, and just as the UK appears to be coming out of a recession, in come the austerity cuts. This isn�t totally the current government�s fault. The spending cuts were first thought of by Chancellor Gordon Brown back in 1997.

And just as you can�t blame the government(s) for everything, neither can you depend on them for anything. I�m not going to apologise at all for again using Scot47 as an example, but

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/196274-social-housing-will-suffer-because-of-westminster-cuts/

Quote:
Housing Minister Alex Neil said: "The trail of destruction left by the UK Government's planned �80bn a year spending cuts means that next year, Scotland's housing sector faces the stark prospect of a reduction in funding for low cost homes.

The above quote makes for depressing reading. If the government decide to double or triple Scot47�s rent, he will have no choice but to pay up.

The advice of Scot47, someone already retired, sadly means little to those in their forties or younger. Look after number one (you and your family). Don�t put yourself in a position where you have no choice but to end up depending on others. Don�t lie to yourself that any government will be able to help.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the UK disintegrates, I look on and marvel that we have a sensible government in Edinburgh while London has a gang of Old Etonians running the End of Empire.

I am also amazed at the touching faith some posters have in the International Finance System. Do you really believe after the recent and continuing banking crisis that putting your pennies away in a piggy bank will provide for you in old age ?

And reports of my retirement are somewhat premature. I am planning my retirement, and indeed planning on crossing the River Styx. Both events lie at some point in the future.

As I write I am planning tomorrow's scintillating lesson on the use of the Present Simple. This is the leading edge of pedagogy !
Hod

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am also amazed at the touching faith some posters have in the International Finance System. Do you really believe after the recent and continuing banking crisis that putting your pennies away in a piggy bank will provide for you in old age ?

Incredible. How is the government able to pay pensions when so little has been paid in? How do the funds received manage to grow over the years? The government invested those funds in property, stocks and shares, currencies, commodities*, etc, and all those things which make up the International Finance System.

* Gold is a commodity. It currently trades at a massive high. Ten years ago, however, the British government sold their gold reserves when the price was at its lowest in twenty years, one quarter of its current worth. This decision cost the British taxpayer 7 billion pounds. I say 7 billion, but who knows? The government were so embarrassed by their howler, which included acting against advice from the Bank of England, that they weren�t too keen to divulge.

If you had a friend that daft with finances, you�d never lend him money, would you? But people trust the government(s) with their lives come pension time.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The UK National Insurance Fund which is the source of retirement pensions and other benefits is not an investment fund. The UK Govt does not use it as an investment tool. Pension Funds which pay occupational funds, whether private or in the poublic sector do invest their income.

Social Economics 101
artemisia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where I live there have been a large number of stories over the last few years of finance companies going bust. All these investors squirrelling away their money over years and years - doing the right thing & taking responsibility for themselves. And where's it got them? Just about nowhere and now financially crippled as they'll never get that money back. Yet these were all strong companies that seemed to be doing extremely well and had high ratings (Standard & Poor, I think). 'Poor' is sure the right word now.

People vote in governments and pay taxes for that Party to run the country and that includes providing for people in old age. If that provision is not there then that country lacks a proper welfare system. I don't think it's necessarily a matter of trusting any government but there will always be low-income people who'll require assistance no matter how well they try and save or those who fall ill and end up using savings on huge medical bills. How can anyone truly know what the future holds? We want to believe we can control our destinies but "security" is largely a state of mind. That's not to say we don't have responsibility to look after ourselves as best we can but so much relies on good health and not just simply money put away.
Assuming it's all up to the individual (who continues to pay taxes) is tantamount to agreeing that governments should be able to act in their own best interests, have no responsibility to those who voted them in and are essentially unaccountable for their actions.

Quote:
As I write I am planning tomorrow's scintillating lesson on the use of the Present Simple. This is the leading edge of pedagogy !

And where, I ask you, would we be without the Present Simple?
We would not be able to say: "I think, therefore I am".
(Descartes)
Perhaps on Dave's (and cyberspace in general) this should be changed to: "I post, therefore I am".
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artemisia,
You are so wise and witty. I think I am falling in love again.
Hod

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
The UK National Insurance Fund which is the source of retirement pensions and other benefits is not an investment fund. The UK Govt does not use it as an investment tool.

No. The UK Government do invest National Insurance contributions.

Quote:
http://www.dmo.gov.uk/index.aspx?page=CRND/CRND_Portfolio/NIFIA

�.the National Insurance Fund (NIF) on 1 April 1975.
The NIF is intended to be the 'current account' of the National Insurance scheme, holding sufficient funds to even out fluctuations in the movement of contributions and benefits and to provide a source of finance to meet exceptional demands, for example in times of unemployment or a sickness epidemic. By virtue of section 161(3) of the Social Security Administration Act 1992, HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) transfers money to the Investment Account on days when it has a net inflow of cash and draws from the Investment Account on days when payments exceed receipts.

Following a review by HMRC, HM Treasury and CRND, a change to the NIF investment strategy was approved in December 2006; this change has resulted in lower administrative charges to the NIF. The change was effected in January 2007 when all the Investment Account�s gilt holdings were sold and the proceeds placed into the Debt Management Account Deposit Facility. In future, the Investment Account is expected to earn a rate of interest close to the Official Bank of England Rate (Base Rate).

That last point makes for grim reading. The Bank of England Base Rate is currently 0.5%.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They put the money in government securities. I would not term that "investment" !

At various time there has been some discussion about the possibility of using the NIF as a sort of "Sovereign Wealth Fund" like the Kuwaitis and Norwegians do with some of their spare cash.

I think that I would prefer the Chancellor just to put it all on a favourite at Cheltenham.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think that I would prefer the Chancellor just to put it all on a favourite at Cheltenham.

He has. It's called "The Great Private Sector Hope" and its odds are about the same as mine for winning the lottery.

This has to be the first time I say this, but old Etonian Boris Johnson (ok, admit I don't know he's an etonian, but he's certainly a toff) ticked off the government for their ludicrous housing policies, calling them "social cleansing". Let's hope the other toffs listen up and abandon their costly plans to make social housing market-led, which paradoxically, will cost even more in benefits. Scott, your social housing may yet be safe!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: