Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Work no CELTA
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
musicmunky

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Work no CELTA Reply with quote

Hey...is it possible to get teaching work in Spain without a CELTA? I have a university degree and a weekend TEFL cert and some teaching experience
microbabe

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Work no CELTA Reply with quote

musicmunky wrote:
Hey...is it possible to get teaching work in Spain without a CELTA? I have a university degree and a weekend TEFL cert and some teaching experience

Hi,

I am in a similar position to you, but work in Portugal at a small private school. I think it is possible in Spain if you are prepared to work in a less desirable area. I have found that the pay is not as good as in a bigger school and career develompent is non existant. Our basic needs are covered at the school ,but facilities could be improved. I am lucky because my husband is fully trained. It is useful, in that, if you can put up with some crap for a while to get more experience and move on.
Moore

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a Celta helps a lot, but is not a deal-breaker for Madrid at least. A good few people I know have never done one and are working for top schools here, including some very well-known ones which theoretically do demand them.

Experience, working papers, and good presentation and attitude make more of a difference in 95% of schools here.

...send your c.v. around ALL the schools in Madrid, Barcelona, Berlin, Paris, Milan, Rome, Lisbon, Porto and Buenos Aires... www.lingobongo.com/cvsender/
Littlebird

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: can you make a living ? Reply with quote

The bottom line is can you make a living working part time teaching English in Spain. I have a CELTA , a degree, no experience and no Spanish. Any advice

SAM
microbabe

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: can you make a living ? Reply with quote

Littlebird wrote:
The bottom line is can you make a living working part time teaching English in Spain. I have a CELTA , a degree, no experience and no Spanish. Any advice

SAM

No, only if you can supplement your income elsewhere. If you work on the idea that the average salary seems to be 1200 euros a month so part-time about 600 euros. Then there is food, somewhere to live 200+ etc.
Maybe I am wrong. It could be done if you don�t mind saving nothing and not having a life. Sad

With your qualifications you should get work though- F/T ??
Littlebird

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Making a living in Spain Reply with quote

Cheers Microbabe

I thought as much. I could do cleaning. I can imagine I would have enormous trouble making 2 jobs work maybe they would clash. What do you mean FT ?

SAM
mozzar

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He means, you could get a full time (FT) teaching job. You can live on a full time teaching job, but not on a part time one. There'd be absolutely no point in working part time as a teacher and then having to work another 15 hours as a cleaner for half the wage.
SirKirby

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say it's DEFINITELY much more difficult to find a job in a decent school if you don't have any teaching qualifications (which is as it should be: would you want an unqualified dentist...?)

20 years ago, it was possible here in Spain, literally to step straight off the plane into a job without any other qualifications than being a native speaker. Not nowadays.
Moore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do know a fair few people who work in bars (lower wages, but many more blocks of hours available, though of course a working level of Spanish is necessary) and then do lunchtime classes at much higher rates. This is in Madrid - in Barcelona bar workers wages are dismal (and they're not amazing here), though free beer and social life covers a lot of what many teachers would spend their wages on anyway Smile

...send your c.v. around ALL the schools in Madrid, Barcelona, Berlin, Paris, Milan, Rome, Lisbon, Porto and Buenos Aires... www.lingobongo.com/cvsender/
SirKirby

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might note that cleaning must be about the worst paid job in Spain. You'll be on the minimum wage, which at around 630 euros/month is about half what it is in other European countries.

Details here: http://www.salariominimo.es/
microbabe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mozzar wrote:
He means, you could get a full time (FT) teaching job. You can live on a full time teaching job, but not on a part time one. There'd be absolutely no point in working part time as a teacher and then having to work another 15 hours as a cleaner for half the wage.

Grrrrrrr ! I�m not a bloke !!! Surprised
Littlebird

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Making a living in Spain Reply with quote

I'm gobsmacked I can get full time work in Spain with a CELTA ? Really ? Should I apply when there or before leaving ? Does anyone have any useful sites ?

Thanks to you all

SAM

Of course you are female Microbabe. What sort of he would be a babe ?
Littlebird

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Minimum wage Reply with quote

Is there minimum wage 6 euros a hour ? That is not much different to the UK at �5.80 a hour. How much is tax and national insurance (equivalent ) in spain ?

Cheers SAM
microbabe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Making a living in Spain Reply with quote

Littlebird wrote:
I'm gobsmacked I can get full time work in Spain with a CELTA ? Really ? Should I apply when there or before leaving ? Does anyone have any useful sites ?

Thanks to you all

SAM

Of course you are female Microbabe. What sort of he would be a babe ?

Thanks ! Very Happy Very Happy

Have search on this site about recruitment times- schools are recruiting now for Sept/ Oct start. Things will go dead in August in Spain.Everyone is on holiday. On the whole it is better to be over here for job hunting.
Tefl.com is useful,but also do a search for other sites.

What about summer teaching (Tefl) in the UK ?

Last edited by microbabe on Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
microbabe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Minimum wage Reply with quote

Littlebird wrote:
Is there minimum wage 6 euros a hour ? That is not much different to the UK at �5.80 a hour. How much is tax and national insurance (equivalent ) in spain ?

Cheers SAM

We are in Portugal at the moment and my husband pays about 150 in deductions (NI) I think/ month. I think it is more in Spain, however for the first year in Spain you don`t pay anything. You will need to check with the others on here for confirmation.

Not sure about the minimum wage thing remember you could be contracted to work hrs/week but be doing more 35-40 with no extra pay. ( Sore point) not uncommon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: