Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Entering Chile on a 1-way flight...need an onward flight?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bownehouse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Entering Chile on a 1-way flight...need an onward flight? Reply with quote

Good afternoon,

First of all, I've spent a lot of time reading over the posts in this form and I want to thank you for all the information you've provided. I hope that my question hasn't already been answered somewhere.

So I am planning to arrive to Chile in early March to look for work. I will be coming from Quito, Ecuador on a one way flight as I don't know how long I"ll be in Chile.

I read in a book ("The South American Handbook 2011") that I need proof of an onward flight when entering Chile. This doesn't make any sense to me. What if my plan is to leave the country on bus or in a car? Is it actually MANDATORY to show this to someone in the airport or what?

Also, I don't want to buy a flight for 3 months later and then end up staying because I've found a job to get me a temporary or subject to contract visa.

So do I really need evidence of onward travel or can I just tell them that I'll be heading out on a bus in 3 months (which is probably not true).

Thank you!
Dia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you'd be taking a chance. often times nobody even asks you about it. but if they do, and you don't have a way to prove you will exit the country, you risk getting denied entry.

the international police at the airport have rarely asked people i've talked to. but many of us have been asked by the airlines, who are legally responsible for bringing you back to where you came from if you are denied entry. i am assuming the dont want this cost shoved on them, as they asked me to prove i was leaving chile within 3 months before i even boarded the plane. the airline made it clear this was a requirement.

perhaps there is a bus company that will let you buy a bus ticket (mendoza?) online, they arent very expensive, and maybe you could even get them to switch the date or something once you are in chile so that it doesnt go to waste. many friends of mine had a physical ticket bought by friends in chile and mailed to them before they flew down here.

i found a bargain flight to buenos aires that i just let go to waste because i was already waiting for my temporary residence with a job when the time came around.
Lunkey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don�t even worry about it, you�ll be perfectly fine.

if they do ask your travel plans, just tell them you�re going to Mendoza, Argentina by bus. done and done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: