Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Belarus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jozef

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: Belarus Reply with quote

Hello,

First of all, thanks again to Gobump for replying and handing me tips about Poland.
Lithuania and Latvia will be my first choice, Poland wil follow right after, but in case none of these countries would host an employer who is interested in hiring me, I was advised to head for Belarus.
As I have some personal connections to some people in that country, I have been considering this before.
My knowledge of Russian would definitely make this an easier option than Lithuania, when it comes to finding ones way into the social life.
However, the political and, to a lesser extent, economic situation there, have frightened me away from seriously considering this possible option.

Does any one have any information about what the chances are of finding a job as an TEFL teacher in Belarus?
Are there any international language schools active in that country at all?
If so, would one be able to survive on the wages one earns with them?
Does one get any help with visa, insurance, lodging etc. from the employer?
Is there any one who has experience from living and working there, who could informe me about, what life actualy is like in Belarus?
I know Russia and Ukraine quite well, so it is not about the cultural aspect or the general material standard of living, that I ask this question.
That Belarus is a difficult place to live, probably even more difficult than Russia, is obvious.
But what I really would like to know, is whether it actually is the terrible place, which the western media would like us to believe?
Can one live a normal life as an English teacher there, without constantly being harrassed or interrogated by the police without any apparent reason (I mean, if one is behaving decently, and does not engage in opositional politics).
Is everything you need to live decently available in the shops, like f.ex. in Russia or Ukraine (or anywhere else in Europe) today?

Thanks a lot for replies or tips

With best regards

Jozef
MarcusK

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

International House has a branch in Minsk.
zaneth

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a bit curious about Belarus myself. Be sure and let us know how it goes.

Is any place as terrible as the western media would have us believe?
Brooks

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never been myself, but over a year ago a friend from Warsaw went to Minsk by train. He had a good time and met nice people.
Poland is definitely more well off than Belarus is. Minsk was said to look much as it did during communism.
The president Lukashenko is not a well-liked public figure.

A lot of Ukrainians go to Poland to work, so I am sure some people from Belarussia have the same inclinations. The border with Poland has been tightened. It was inevitable since Poland joined the EU recently.
People from Belarussia go to Poland to buy things they can`t get at home.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: