Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salary advice
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinback

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:05 am    Post subject: Salary advice Reply with quote

I'll admit that I know very little about the country and the cost of living, but I've been in contact with a business school in Delhi about teaching English to MBA students.

Although I have nearly 20 years experience in management, I only have one year teaching English and a CELTA.

The package they are advertising is a salary of Rs 37.500 per month with single accommodation (A/C etc. included)

Any thoughts on this from those with more experience in-country would be appreciated.
armitage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we may have been speaking to the same school in Delhi... BLS group?!
I posted about it in a separate thread..

From what I've read, this salary seems good for India.
oxi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Salary advice Reply with quote

pinback wrote:
The package they are advertising is a salary of Rs 37.500 per month with single accommodation (A/C etc. included)

I've been out of in India a couple of years now. I'd say salary is ok, rather than great. I thought 40K + free accom was the norm. I suppose it depends what the accommodation is like. I got 70K + �300 monthly, but no free accom with the British Council.

Things are cheap if you stay out of the 5 star hotels and that type of lifestyle.

I found a 5 day working week in Delhi difficult in terms of tourism - most places you'd want to visit are often a 12 or more hour train/bus trip away, eg. northwards - Shimla and hill stations.
pinback

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armitage, yeah it's BLS and I just saw your post. Like you, I haven't found anything negative about them. I'm not sure whether I'll be staying in Colombia another year, so I'm considering a few other offers.

The large class sizes put me off a little too, but I have about 24 students per class now so it wouldn't be much of a leap.

Any other thoughts from anyone on the salary? Maybe just a little below the norm?

Thanks
lady z

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that before or after tax? Considering that A/C accomodation is included and it's a 5-day work week, it's a great package by Indian standards.
rockyp44

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the tax situation. If you pay Indian taxes, for a woman it's about 22%, more if you are male. You will also need to apply for a PAN (like SSN) card. This entitles you to Indian rates for entrances to national sites, btw. If you are American, then you only pay US taxes if you make more than $80,000/yr., but you still must file a tax return.

Be sure they will help you to set up a bank account at Axis, if you plan on wire transferring out of the country.

Does it include round-trip airfare? Transportation to and from school/home?

Go to indiamike.com for expat info on Delhi.
tashidelek

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

am teaching in an international school here, salary is higher than you guys mentioned, but i do feel that if you do have an international mind, no matter how much you earn, you will not enjoy your teaching and your life here. My experience told me that stay away from indian school unless it is of a real international atmosphere
Green Acres

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where should one look to find a job in India? Is it easy to find a job on arrival?

Thanks
gonzo85

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good pay, especially considering accommodation is included.
rockyp44

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Jobs in India Reply with quote

Teaching at an Int'l school--send your CV to them by email. They also do recruiting in 2 or 3 places in the US. Google "International school recruitment" or something like that. The schools have special arrangements for teachers/Indian gov't, and you might be able to be hired from within India.

Working in a call center--as I wrote, get hired from abroad for the best salary and benefits. However, you may get hired here altho' you might have to leave the country to get an employment visa. Go to indiamike.com and look for the forum on Indian visas.

Private tutoring for International students and wealthy locals--possible, if you can find the right place to advertise (gourmet food stores, etc.)--and if your students come regularly.

There are some language schools, but the tuition fees are so low that that you would probably be offered a salary that would leave you speechless.

You can do volunteer English teaching w/charities without attracting too much attention.
eclectic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rocky44--Im teaching in Korea right now, I got a Masters (Business) and a Bachelors (English). 45 years old. 1 year of teaching exp. Not TEFL or other teaching cert.

r u saying its easy to get a decent job there by email? I was offered 12,000 rupees per month in Ahmadabad in 2007. No way. Yet I heard from locals there you could live a decent life on that in that city. Therefore anything like 20-25,000 seems decent to me.

How should I do it from here?
rockyp44

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Possible jobs Reply with quote

Send your CV to Ms. Supriya R. [email protected] and mention my name.

She's a freelance recruiter located in South India.
eclectic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RockyP, I have done it, and I thank you wholeheartedly. I mentioned your name as an online friend. (Didnt say Dave's ESL). Did you get your thing thru her?

Wow thats the first or second time EVER that anybody ever helped me like that. Thank you and I will let you know what happens. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
rockyp44

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: My gig Reply with quote

No, I applied from the US. I read on Linkedin.com that Abu Dhabi needs teachers of all types, if you are interested.
eclectic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx rockyp. will inform of any new developments. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> India All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: