Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jobs in Thessaloniki

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scona85

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Jobs in Thessaloniki Reply with quote

Hellooo! I've just joined this forum in search of some advice...

I'm a recently qualified ESL teacher looking for my first job (to start in September) and I really want to go to Thessaloniki. I want to go here for a number of reasons, the main one being that I already have family there. I've been in contact with the 2 main recruitment agencies in Greece (both of which have already been mentioned in this forum) but I don't think it's likely that they will be able to place me in Thessaloniki. They seem to cater more for smaller towns. Am I right in thinking this? Could anyone offer me some advice on the best way to get a job in Thessaloniki? I've been toying with the idea of going out for a week or so and just hand delivering my CV to every school I can find. Do you think this would be worth my while?

Any advice will be gratefully received!
the_thinker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Anglo-Hellenic definitely used to deal with some schools in Thessaloniki, but I don't know about now. They will definitely try and convince you to take the small-town jobs first, though ...

Turning up with a CV could be successful. You might actually have more luck in the suburbs than the centre, but it might be hard to pick one if you don't know the city. Mid September should be the best time, as schools will start to know about student numbers. If you can read Greek, you'll find plenty of jobs on this site as well: http://www.xe.gr/pages/Index.aspx

You'll struggle living on your own in Thessaloniki, though (if that's your intention). The advantage of the agencies is that generally the schools they place people at provide free accommodation. If you plan to live with your family then you'll be fine, though!
scona85

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. It's appreciated!

I have 2 interviews in the summer with each of the recruitment agencies so I think I'll wait and see how they go and take it from there. I'll just make sure I do any necessary research on anywhere they might try to place me.

Does anyone know anything about the interview process with Anglo-Hellenic or Cambridge Teacher Recruitment? What do the interviews entail? Do many people get rejected or is the success rate quite high?
the_thinker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had interviews with both � years ago. It wasn't really any kind of formal interview; they just describe the teaching situation in Greece, ask you where you want to go, and then present you with a list of possible schools (probably based on their own needs rather than your requests ...). It pays to be very clear about where you want to go and where you don't want to go, and yes, you should research very carefully any location they suggest (there's probably not so much you can do about the individual schools except for to hope for the best).

I really doubt anyone gets rejected, as they get a fee for every teacher they place.
scona85

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok well I'll probably prepare myself for a formal interview just to be sure... Better safe than sorry!

Thanks again for the advice Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Greece All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: