Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sackings in HCT Abu Dhabi
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smallbore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: Sackings in HCT Abu Dhabi Reply with quote

I'm hearing that people are being called in to the Directors' offices on the Men's and Women's campus and told they won't be needed any more as of the end of this semester.

Which is 10th June.

Severance pay, but 2 days to pack up your life and move on.
Never Ceased To Be Amazed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell more...

NCTBA
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hummm... I've had emails from a couple people at those colleges over the last couple days, and there was no mention of this.

Wouldn't surprise me these days, but that sort of information generally hits the grapevine within nanoseconds. Are we talking content courses or TEFL?

VS
D. Merit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 at ADMC
3 at ADWC

4 of them TEFLers, not sure about the other one.

I think the 3 at ADWC have all been paid off 6 months in lieu of notice, and have been shown the door supposedly because of a drop in anticipated student numbers.

The 2 at ADMC seem to have been basically just shown the door without any payment in lieu.
Sheikh N Bake

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Shwoosh!*

That was the sound of another laid-off instructor flying through the front door and onto the next flight out of there. Oh no--that was a teacher who stuck up for himself and dared to contradict.

At DWC when I was there, one teacher didn't even make it through Orientation Week. Shwoosh!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the Big H was quick on the trigger back in the olden days...

I hear that this all took place this morning which is why my friends didn't know about it yet. (as far as I have heard... they are getting 30 days to pack up and leave)

This is just as unprofessional as the process at UAEU, but it is the same Ministry, so perhaps not so surprising after all. I'm wondering why one college is conforming to the contracts while the other is not.

Perhaps that shows that the perceived student numbers excuse is correct at ADW and they have no cause for termination that would allow them to not pay the 6 month notice cash... and perhaps the teachers at ADM had provided them with ammunition that allowed them to avoid it?

Who knows with these people...

VS
helenl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it is the case at AD but if any were on probation, no notice and no severance is required (nor is a reason) to terminate them.
Eisenhorn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And notice... the hatchet woman from RAK, the CLAW is in AD. I wonder if one of those shown the door ran that blog exposing how bad AD was getting...

I wouldn't know though, because that blog has been made private. Too bad, it was a fun read.
helenl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seven or eight years ago the staff room at one college was dubbed the "departure" lounge - looks like AD has acquired one too.
bje

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eisenhorn wrote:
And notice... the hatchet woman from RAK, the CLAW is in AD. I wonder if one of those shown the door ran that blog exposing how bad AD was getting...

I wouldn't know though, because that blog has been made private. Too bad, it was a fun read.

The decision would have come from much higher up than at the Associate Director/Director levels.
Smallbore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The people I know about directly were

not on probation
had no disciplinary problems
had at least another year to run on their contracts
under the impression they were going to be teaching courses next semester.

In some cases they were beyond their first contract with several years' service.

Presumably their supervisors (and it involves more than one programme and both campuses) also did not know until the last moment.

I'm hearing rumours about others - one story (unconfirmed) of a woman sacked because she came into college on a weekend wearing tight trousers...
celticbutterfly

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it was done on 'Staff Appreciation Day'....nice...
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm hearing rumours about others - one story (unconfirmed) of a woman sacked because she came into college on a weekend wearing tight trousers...

I heard that she came onto campus momentarily...sick kid at home. Supposedly, she was criticized by the director, I believe, for some aspect of her wardrobe-she wasn't planning on remaining on campus. Her response to that criticism was seemingly too sassy for the director's liking (as in...he was lucky she had even shown up). All through the grapevine, though. ADMC has seemingly been plagued by a man who spends lots of time worrying about what women are wearing...a sign of true incompetence or perhaps some perversion. Smile Or both.

At least one from ADWC was a veteran (VS: You might have known him!). Again...all according to the grapevine.

Last edited by mishmumkin on Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Iamherebecause

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile UAEU still hasn't find enough bodies to transfer to HCT - and at the same time there are rumours (sorry, facts are thin on the ground) that there will be mandatory overtime for those UGRUites who stay for 2010/11.

Now, if numbers are really down in HCT AD, why weren't these people at least offered the chance of a position at Fujairah or MZ? or would that require joined up thinking?
republocrat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the teachers who was sacked from ADMC apparently gave the Director some robust abuse and threw a glass of water over him, as a kind of parting gesture.

Could take on as a fashion - we hope!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: