Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sackings in HCT Abu Dhabi
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rumor mill is on high... few facts on the ground. Do we have updated numbers? Is it still as D Merit posted above? One rumor is that it has been 6 teachers from ADW.

Yet in Dubai, they are asking people that have resigned or "not been renewed" to stay as they are expecting to be short of teachers. If it was truly a matter of dropping student numbers at ADW, wouldn't these teachers have been offered a transfer to Dubai?

I too heard the rumor that some of them chosen might be related to the infamous blog (which still opens for me from the link I picked up here). But what with the comments being anonymous, I don't see how anyone could have been identified from the comments. At least not the ones that I read.

This means that people being hired this year will very likely be sent to ADW... and I hope everyone of them turns it down giving this situation as the reason.

VS
(yes MM... I do know at least one of the teachers cut)
kimchikowboy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
... and I hope everyone of them turns it down giving this situation as the reason.

Actually, they offered me a position for the coming semester and I did turn them down. Much of the reason was because of the things I had read here.
Suede Oasis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Taffyban regime Reply with quote

It appears that both HCT colleges in Abu Dhabi are indulging in some sort of blood-letting exercise, excising those teachers they feel are not the right sort. Nothing to do with their abilities of teaching, of course, just the management's impression. Wonderful!

The Welsh director at ADMC is instigating a 'reign of terror' worthy of the Taleban - in his case, the 'Taffyban' - against those teachers who wear the 'wrong' clothes or say and write the 'wrong' things. And 'misalignment' is jumped upon and punished.

It's very sad that anything that upsets the poor guy can result in a reprimand, and he appears to enjoy exercising this control over mere teachers. I would hazard a guess that he is some sort of sociopath, who has no empathy for those around him and can only function within rigidly defined systems.

In other words, it's institutional fascism, and it's spreading all over!
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest toll is 3 from ADM and 7 from ADW.
homeless vet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's quite a few openings for content faculty in Al Ain. Very high attrition among the newbies with options (i.e. Americans with terminal degrees) who told them to take a flying leap before the end of year 1 of the contract.
homeless vet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard there was a bloodbath at Sharjah yesterday, too.
Sheikh N Bake

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smallbore wrote:
one story (unconfirmed) of a woman sacked because she came into college on a weekend wearing tight trousers...

Shocked

I am shocked--shocked to discover there are tight slacks being worn in the Emirates.
I have been there

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: ADM ADWM Reply with quote

I was recently offered a job there. Told them in no uncertain terms "not interested - heard all about those colleges already and there isn't enough money they could pay me to take that misery". I had enough of it for the short period of time I was at Al Hosn U. That was bad enough.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... there are branches that are doing fine and there are even a few good managers here and there in the system. And even in the worst branches there are teachers who get along fine with the ogres. (sort of like how you wonder about how some marriages stay together. Laughing)

The problem with getting an offer with HCT is to make sure that you don't get sent to the wrong branch... not that you have any say in it... other than yes or no. Over the years, I know of people who turned down an HCT offer at one of the bad branches, but accepted an offer a year or two later at one of the more settled ones... and have spent a number of contracts.

For many years the Abu Dhabi branches were good places to work... now they have sunk to the rock bottom.

VS
mamasboy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:50 am    Post subject: Sackings in HCT Reply with quote

Folks:
Why all the FUSS? Afterall, we are all contract workers.
Why do folks become so complacent after a few years in the Gulf and a few bucks in the bank account? Live and learn y'all!!!
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Sackings in HCT Reply with quote

mamasboy wrote:
Folks:
Why all the FUSS? Afterall, we are all contract workers.
Why do folks become so complacent after a few years in the Gulf and a few bucks in the bank account? Live and learn y'all!!!

What does a contract have to do w/ this? All these people had recently been resigned. If HCT had wanted to cull them, them could have done so at contract time as they did w/ other employees. In some cases, supervisors had no idea that their employees were about to be canned. In all the cases I'm familiar with, none of these people could be spared. As for complacency, I have no idea how that figures into this argument.
mamasboy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:52 am    Post subject: Sackings in HCT Abu Dhabi Reply with quote

Mishmumkin:
If you've done your home work, you'll know that 'CONTRACTS' anywhere including the Gulf are same as "AT WILL", and you have no say when any institution cuts staff (beginning, middle, end of contract). Unfortunately, many expats surround themselves with fellow country-men and cronies who are just as clueless as themselves in these things, especially in times like this! COMPLACENCY because they immerse themselves in their false sense of CONTRACT SECURITY and resort to doing things they shouldn't do in their host country!!!
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Sackings in HCT Abu Dhabi Reply with quote

mamasboy wrote:
Mishmumkin:
If you've done your home work, you'll know that 'CONTRACTS' anywhere including the Gulf are same as "AT WILL", and you have no say when any institution cuts staff (beginning, middle, end of contract). Unfortunately, many expats surround themselves with fellow country-men and cronies who are just as clueless as themselves in these things, especially in times like this! COMPLACENCY because they immerse themselves in their false sense of CONTRACT SECURITY and resort to doing things they shouldn't do in their host country!!!

Mamasboys...I've been around this block longer than you. I'm well familiar with Gulf contracts. There is a procedure for ending a contract legally on either sides. We, as teachers, are asked to give professional courtesy of x months that coincide with the end of term. We're are asked that if we're going to give this notice that it allows the university a reasonable amount of time to find a replacement. Universities, in turn, are asked to abide by the same period. That would allow a professional to plan for change of schools for their children and possible change of jobs/location for the other spouse. While HCT is paying out severances, these people were given 2 days to clear out-many of them carrying the burden of taking their children out of their current school. They weren't complacent-they were professional. Apparently they weren't jaded enough for your tastes. The day you find yourself scrambling to find fees for your child who's just lost his schooling option might be the day that this actually means something to you.
Dedicated

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are Labour Laws in the UAE , which you can read on this document produced by Zayed University:

http://www.zu.ac.ae/library/html/UAEInfo/documents/UAELabourLaw.pdf

Have these folk all visited the Ministry of Labour in Al Salam Street and aired their grievances? Perhaps some publicity might help their case. Just a thought......
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dedicated wrote:
There are Labour Laws in the UAE , which you can read on this document produced by Zayed University:

http://www.zu.ac.ae/library/html/UAEInfo/documents/UAELabourLaw.pdf

Have these folk all visited the Ministry of Labour in Al Salam Street and aired their grievances? Perhaps some publicity might help their case. Just a thought......

Because they're being paid out, they don't have much of a legal case. Unprofessional fear-mongering? Sure. Illegal? Probably not. I guess it all depends on if gratuities get paid out fair and square.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 2 of 16

Jump to: