Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sackings in HCT Abu Dhabi
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey It's Scary... come on. YOU didn't do that, you didn't leave by choice or protecting some concept of "honor" or something... you got the ax with the batch at ADW. (as has been discussed here in the past)

I see nothing wrong with the people who are able to deal with it all and keep what can be a decent job with good pay if you are at the right branch. Heaven knows that there aren't enough jobs to absorb all these teachers if they all followed your advice.

I'm sure that they have zero problems looking at themselves in the mirror. And I say... more power to 'em. We all do what we have to do to survive in this world which can be tough on teachers - especially those with families and kids to educate.

VS
It's Scary!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Hey It's Scary... come on. YOU didn't do that, you didn't leave by choice or protecting some concept of "honor" or something... you got the ax with the batch at ADW. (as has been discussed here in the past)

I see nothing wrong with the people who are able to deal with it all and keep what can be a decent job with good pay if you are at the right branch. Heaven knows that there aren't enough jobs to absorb all these teachers if they all followed your advice.

I'm sure that they have zero problems looking at themselves in the mirror. And I say... more power to 'em. We all do what we have to do to survive in this world which can be tough on teachers - especially those with families and kids to educate.

VS

Let's be clear here. I am not, by any means, disparaging this poster per se. I am commenting on the mindset that she defends.

What I am and have always been opposed to is that set of teachers who view themselves as glorified baby-sitters. You don't strike me as having been one of that crowd. Those who fall into the "baby-sitter" mindset have become jaded and have become a part of the problem. At that point, IMHO, it's time to move on...or...out and back.

Of course, I didn't leave on my own. That little trick was engineered when I made it public and clear that I was going to finish out the last year of my contract and keep my word. They are the ones who made their contract not worth the paper it is printed out on. And, because of that, they paid through the nose. But, even then, I walked (or was ushered) out with my head held high and my principles intact.

Too many times I had the baby-sitters undermine me by desperately wanting to be the "good" teachers. I called the attendance...they let them waltz in whenever they wanted to. I didn't allow them to choke on their chips and soda pops at their desks...they could care less if half couldn't follow the lesson due to the constant crunching and smacking, etc, etc...

And, we all know what the "good" teachers don't do-THEY'RE JOBS! (All caps for emphasis!)

It's my story stickin' to it!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Scary! wrote:
Let's be clear here. I am not, by any means, disparaging this poster per se.

It's my story stickin' to it!

Well... I thought your post that I was responding to did just that... it sure looked like an attack to me. Any time anyone says anything even semi-positive about their job at HCT, you and a couple other posters pounce. We both know serious, hard-working teachers at HCT. By painting with such a broad brush, you are also sort of attacking them for not leaving... and you know as well as I do why most haven't... as yet. It isn't a perfect world. Sad

Let us warn people about the pitfalls of HCT, but let's not overstate the situation. In relative terms, someone living from paycheck to paycheck in the US or wherever should not be faulted for jumping at the chance to be able to pay off their bills, own a car, and travel. Or stay a few more years to pay off the kids' college tuition or be able to retire.

VS
(psst... while I consider myself a serious teacher, I too often describe teaching in the Middle East as glorified baby-sitting because that is what it so often is. Many (most?) of the young women at HCT are not serious academics or will even be able to join the work force if they want to... and that's fine even if all they leave with is better English. This isn't a system turning out brain surgeons, after all... Laughing)
republocrat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think IS is being a little too emotional and ungenerous too. Most of our teaching here in the UAE is a pretence, and some of it even is baby-sitting, but I guess we're all aware of that - and even learn to do it very well!

Those who come here like some sort of Jesuit with a mission to convert will either soon be converted themselves (the money can be quite persuasive!) or realise it's all a sham and go home. And that goes for the management too, as no local wants to be upstaged by some whitey westerner with a superiority complex due to having actually studied the subject!! Either they swallow the local approach to people management and getting things done, or they swan off.

The important thing is to make people aware of the situation before they come, and not believe the recruitment bullshit - or the management bullshit, for that matter.

People like SiJo, the big boss at ADMC, are the saddest ones, as they actually believe their own BS and think they are making a difference. These are the sort of people we should be ridiculing, not the honest teachers.
It's Scary!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

republocrat wrote:
Yes, I think IS is being a little too emotional and ungenerous too. Most of our teaching here in the UAE is a pretence, and some of it even is baby-sitting, but I guess we're all aware of that - and even learn to do it very well!

Those who come here like some sort of Jesuit with a mission to convert will either soon be converted themselves (the money can be quite persuasive!) or realise it's all a sham and go home. And that goes for the management too, as no local wants to be upstaged by some whitey westerner with a superiority complex due to having actually studied the subject!! Either they swallow the local approach to people management and getting things done, or they swan off.

The important thing is to make people aware of the situation before they come, and not believe the recruitment bullshit - or the management bullshit, for that matter.

People like SiJo, the big boss at ADMC, are the saddest ones, as they actually believe their own BS and think they are making a difference. These are the sort of people we should be ridiculing, not the honest teachers.

I respect your opinion, republocrat, but choose to respectfully disagree. Not nearly the Jesuit type, I spent 16 years in that morass without once subverting my principles or preaching to others.

My experience is that newbies come into that environment either already jaded or are indoctrinated by those already jaded.

In any regard, it's such a dirty little secret that it is never talked about in staff break rooms...that is...without a furtive look to see whoever was around...much like someone who is about to commit a crime.

So, whatever floats the boat of any self-professed professional, but if it is gloated about here, I will comment again.

BTW, as to what VS revealed at the top of the page...IT GETS BETTER! Laughing

It's in my nature (said the scorpion to the frog)!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Scary! wrote:

You are the one who revealed it here in the past in one of the many HCT discussions. And besides, you came out "smelling like a rose" after all the dust settled. Better job and better life all around. Cool

VS
It's Scary!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
It's Scary! wrote:

You are the one who revealed it here in the past in one of the many HCT discussions. And besides, you came out "smelling like a rose" after all the dust settled. Better job and better life all around. Cool

VS

I don't remember, but tend to trust your memory better than mine! Laughing

Yeah! I'd give Tubby a big kiss, but he won't come out from behind his desk, the coward! Twisted Evil
republocrat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found this over at 'The Chronicle':

Higher education, public higher education, in the UAE is in crisis. Search this forum and you will find many examples as to why you would not want to work at HCT. Zayed, once a gem, is also starting to decline. UAEU has gone over the cliff. See http://hctsucks.blogspot.com/ for examples of what it is like to work at HCT. See http://adwcamp.blogspot.com/ to learn about life at ADWC- HCT. Check Dave's ESL Cafe. Tayeb Kamali enjoys the support of HESN and as long as that is the case then HCT is a no-go zone for sane people. On the other hand, if enjoy working in constant fear, having your mail read, your telephone bugged, your Internet read, and never knowing when you will be dismissed on a whim, then HCT might just be the place for you.

Seems it's just getting better and better over at King Tubby's Empire!!
Saabirah

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone at HCT know if the management will be different in the fall? Is 'the Claw' still there?
BrownSauce

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: ADMC Reply with quote

I can't answer that one, regarding ADWC, but I can repeat the following, which appeared as a comment on a certain HCT blog:

Is that why all CERT EMPLOYEES were turfed out of their working space at Abu Dhabi Menz yesterday (just as they were going on vacation) ? Told NOT TO PANIC, a political decision coming from the highest hind quarters in the land. That's how transparent the directive was.

Also the usual spate of last day firings with no rhyme or reason in that sad apology for an educational institute.

Great they kicked (MOD edit for name) out, after so many squandered years of being a non director who should really have been working in a fashion college. But will things get worse under the new regime with HCT's awful record for hiring the worst managers in the world and paying them the best salaries in the world?

Does anybody have any further news on this latest round of culling at ADMC?
Eisenhorn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

about ADM? No.

Systemwide the service/support staff have been cut by 27%. There has been a spate of dismissals across all the schools to get under the directive from central services.

These dismissals started about a month ago and have run up through today.
robinbanks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brown Sauce,do you mean the Irish blonde who pretty much destroyed tjhe moral of the place since she took over from PQ six years ago?As for the CERT people-werem't thay in those cramped porto-cabil type things anyway?Aren't they sharing with Brit.Cl?how can they squeeze more juice out of those lemons?
Nolan Chance

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this 'report' has any credibility, HCT has a new broom on the way.

Specualtor 999 wrote:

Simple Simon to be replaced by A*****y S******y perhaps!!

Solloway Agent said...

I hear that A******y S******y's Punch in the Facebook performance (nearly 1/2 million slaps) has won him a top goon squad position at ADMC. Watch out all those rascals on here who ribbed him. He'll have a list of names!

http://adwcamp.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/more-tales-from-hct-management-handbook.html

Abdullah the Enforcer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abdullah wonder: do ADWC pardice now? 10000 angel must to dance on needle pin? shake city 'a' good skoul?

Sis sad. Sad
DLIguy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how any of the people that this thread was originally about made out? It seems like they've been joined by those over at its counterpart!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 15 of 16

Jump to: