Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are considered Top 5 Unis in Istanbul?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I interviewed for Bilkent about 10 years ago.

They were really focused on grammar in the interview and how I would present it in my lessons. But the salary was like only $900 a month. Friendly, but they sounded very grammar focused and the salary was just too low.
Listener

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atoklas wrote:
which begs the question--
what does a full time phd-graduated foreign lecturer in a faculty at a private uni make? i'm guessing around 5-6,000 lira net, although i never got that far in the interview process Wink can anyone confirm or deny?

Now this is a good question, and there are a few different things to be considered. I don't know what foreigners make, but i am assuming that the Turks make about 3-4K net straight time. However they also get overtime pay, and at least at my uni we are understaffed (which is good because it helps keep this part timer on the payroll) so they do get more on an hourly rate. I am assuming the hourly rate is about the same as mine, a bit above 40tl/hr.

(In a side note: to anyone who has an undergrad degree and tefl qualifications and is a dual citizen, any private Uni should be paying you about 40tl/lesson part time, that IS the going rate, don't let anyone cheat you! This includes working in a prep program too!)

Now, of course the foreign rate should be higher, but this can give you an idea that it won't be any less than 3-4 k, at least. I have been told that the teaching load for this pay is 16 hours, by the way. Which for those of you at language schools sounds like a dream, but I can assure you that in a degree program it's quite a load....
canaduck

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atoklas- I am sure you must be tired of hearing this, but
THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Your post was very educational.
HunterCom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All top 5 unis in Turkey do not pay livable rates of pay with the exception of Bilkent but their pay is only just enough to live on if you are single and are frugal.
canaduck

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, HunterCon? I assumed they were a considerable amount more than what a teacher would get paid at a language center?
HunterCom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course not they are state unis-4 of them anyway and pay pretty much Turkish salaries. Bilkent pays more but it is no better than a lang mill.
canaduck

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Refreshing to know...so why do people bust their nerves dealing with prep school brats?

My apologies for screwing up your nick initially, HunterCom.
HunterCom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The prep schools we are talking about are in private pathetic attempts at unis and pay better and you do not have to work weekends and evenings.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atoklas wrote:
which begs the question--
what does a full time phd-graduated foreign lecturer in a faculty at a private uni make? i'm guessing around 5-6,000 lira net, although i never got that far in the interview process Wink can anyone confirm or deny?

That's what I'm curious about as well.

From the sounds of it, Turkey might be best with a MA and quite indifferent about presentations/publications.

Curious if they encourage and pay for research and presenting at conferences and such. Or if they pretty much just want the teacher to stay in the classroom.
Eagle Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I consider myself very lucky in pay...I have an MA degree and am earning CA$3,000/Month teaching English at a university in Istanbul and yes I got the job in a face-to-face interview! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: