Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When do schools hire?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
homeless vet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Hope I played my cards right Reply with quote

rainlover wrote:
Well, the interview with IAT lasted an hour and a half! They drilled me on every aspect of teaching imaginable. Truly the most thorough interview I've ever had. Not sure if that's good or bad! Anyways, I'd only be teaching the girls- one stipulation I insisted upon. Does that make a difference in terms of their conduct in class? I'm hoping so. At the end of the interview they said it would be 2-3 weeks before they got back to me, so I told them about the offer at Al Hosn, and that I had 5 working days to get back to them. Of course I didn't tell them what I was offered, only that it was "standard"; which is what they said they also paid. It was very tongue in cheek....They told me not to give Al Hosn the OK, without contacting them first, and that I could stall them a bit. I hope I played that card right, and that it gets me a better offer. But then again, I'm still up in the air about teaching highschool rather than uni. Any insights?

Female students have different issues than male students in the UAE, but they have issues, nonetheless. Most tend to be terribly unmotivated, since they know that an education will do little more than fetch a higher bride price for their father when he sells them off into marriage. Attending college is a highly social event for them - it's the only time when most are allowed to leave the confines of the family home (prison) without being accompanied by a male relative. They also tend to be habitually late for class because their maid didn't wake them up on time or their driver was late.
makeajoyfulnoyes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Misconception IAT Reply with quote

Quote:
I doubt much has changed student wise...re: technical high schools. The students are mostly rejects / misfits that can't get into university and / or are forced by parents to attend- a fast track for students entering work force... However, where you applied may not be the same set up???

While it is possible that your experience in the 90's was the norm, much has changed at IAT. Students are screened and pass an exam. This is not a vocational/technical school of the nineties, although it may have been when you attended. There is some good stuff happening at IAT. Are there still those areas where improvement can and should happen, of course.
From my sources, the girls at the girls' campuses are more gentile, but most are highly motivated and desire to attend university for degrees in engineering, technology and the sciences. The young men have a range of skill and motivation, however, that is also improving.
Much is demanded of the teachers in terms of testing, following a set curriculum, and maintaining discipline. Teachers have rigorous schedules, especially in the teaching of English; often teaching well-rounded second language speakers alongside students with little grasp of English.
To the poster who spoke about Insh'allah versus Y'allah...yes, still true, in many cases, but that is the way of the UAE. Get over it.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the schoolyear calendar? When does each semester begin, and when do they usually hire for uni jobs?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the usual school year that most of us are used to back home. New teachers normally arrive in August with classes starting in Sept. (variations are caused by Ramadhan the last few years) There is normally an appr two month holiday in the summer - and you may or may not be required to teach summer school.

Hiring is started early in the year, peaking in March at the time of the TESOLArabia conference in Dubai and TESOL in the US.

If you are looking for a university position, are you aware that a related MA + 2-3 of related experience is required by nearly all of them?

VS
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
It is the usual school year that most of us are used to back home. New teachers normally arrive in August with classes starting in Sept. (variations are caused by Ramadhan the last few years) There is normally an appr two month holiday in the summer - and you may or may not be required to teach summer school.

Hiring is started early in the year, peaking in March at the time of the TESOLArabia conference in Dubai and TESOL in the US.

If you are looking for a university position, are you aware that a related MA + 2-3 of related experience is required by nearly all of them?

VS

Thank you, so much! Much appreciated.

Requirements, I'm good. All that and more, plus publications and presentations.

On that note, do most university positions in the UAE, also have 'research' money available? I.E. for attending or presenting at international conferences, subscribing to journals, etc.?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not for TEFL... pretty much only at professorial level.

There are some employers who might be convinced to spring for the costs to attend something like TESOLArabia, but little chance of them sending you off to TESOL in the US or IATEFL in the UK. In fact, one would be hard pressed to even get time off to do it on your own dime.

VS
hamergirl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also a three week winter break from mid December to after the new year.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The length of that break depends on the employer at tertiary level. It can be 1 or 2 or even 3 weeks. Much depends on the timing of the Eids and such. Not to mention that I have heard of employers who don't include the teachers in the break... just the students. Crying or Very sad

BTW... It also could be in December... or in January... one warning is that it doesn't necessarily or even normally include Christmas if you plan to go home for the holidays. In my 15+ years in the Gulf, I don't recall ever having Christmas included in a break - if that matters to anyone. Again timings depend on where Ramadhan and the Eids fall which are currently affecting the first semester timings.

VS
hamergirl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The break is built into the ADEC calendar which all educational institutions are supposed to adhere to. All schools and universities in the Abu Dhabi Emirate should be closed for this holiday. The timins is hardly coincidental and doesn't seem like it will change. Of course, that doesn't mean it can't.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear a rumor (here actually) that the universities were going to FINALLY have the same holiday schedule as the schools. In the past, they never did. This was terribly inconvenient for teachers with kids. I don't know if they are now doing so or not... and if so, whether they will continue to do so. Laughing (for anyone reading for general information, these differences happen in all the countries of the Gulf)

All is subject to change in the Gulf as you know... often as of tomorrow.

VS
Tom Le Seelleur

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All public universities have the same or similar holidays breaks as all public schools which mean that there is now a winter break (including xmas+ new year) Spring break (Easter) and your summer break which may be longer or shorter depending on the university. You have to check the university you are applying to. Khalifa University has had to change to be in line with the requirements of ADEC. Therefore our winter(xmas) break begins on 21st December and we are expected back on January 6. Our Spring Break is from 5th April unitl 13th April. We tend to give fewer weeks than ohter public universities and colleges like ZU, HCT, UAEU. For the foreseeable future this will continue from now on every year.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the private colleges and universities (and private K-12) have also come into line with the ADEC rules? That must make things so much easier for teaching families.

VS
Gulezar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Teaching families Reply with quote

Yes, of course, now with Emiratisation, there are a few Emirati families who have students studying abroad and parents who are working in the schools. Therefore, we will see vacation time following a more universally cohesive schedule. After all, one would want to have those families get together for those ski holidays after spending all that money on learning how to maneuver on the bunny slopes at Ski Dubai. Lebanon not possible this year? They can do Turkey or Aspen, Colorado.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: