Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salary question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrsMonkey

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Salary question Reply with quote

Hi all,
Very quick question: Is a salary of 1,000 euros a month enough to live on in Rome?

The job is in the northern zone of Balduina so I'd aim to live in commuting distance of there but would need to pay rent, bills, food, travel, and have change for an occasional beer. I wouldn't expect to run a car, save money or eat out much but don't want to live in squalor and poverty either.

Thanks very much.
bella1979

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it depends.... But I think it will be hard... I don't know how much rent you'll have to pay. Rome itself is very expensive and I don't think a 1000 euro will do for you. When I lived in Naples I earned more or less 900 euro a month but I shared an appartment with 4 other girls, so I only paid like a 150 euro a month. But after all the bills, food etc.. etc.. not much remained.. Try, if you can, to get some private students. That's what helped me, and what still helps me now! In Rome it should not be to hard and you can charge them atleast 20 euro an hour, maybe even more depending on what the student wants and your experience. I currently have 5 private students, so that is only 5 hours extra work a week but still gives me 400 euro extra a month. That is the only advise I can give you. Find out how much rent you need to pay, how much public transport will be etc. I have to tell you though that most people in Italy have a salary of 1100/1200 euro. They seem to survive.... Wink
MrsMonkey

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. The school does organise extra private lessons for EUR15 an hour but I think I'd try to sort my own out for the higher sort of rate you mention.

I'd be sharing with my boyfriend, but he has to wait til he gets to Rome to actually look for work so we'd be on a real tight budget to begin with.
MrsMonkey

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting development: Turns out it would be paid to me cash in hand. I need to look into Italian systems but that means the 24% income tax would not be taken off. Which helps.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, your whole salary will be paid cash in hand? That rings alarm bells for me.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking the same thing....shady dealing Cool
Remember if there is no paper trail and numbers are not in writing - you may not GET your cash in hand.
bella1979

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the important question is: will you get a "busta paga". At the end it is not important how they pay you, but if they leave you an official document of what was paid to you etc. When I worked at Inlingua they paid me in cash as well, each month, but with the cash came the "busta paga". So inform if you will have this, if not that wouldn't be a good sign....
MrsMonkey

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, good question. I'll ask and let you know.

It's not quite as dodgy as I seem to be making it out to be though � they're happy to pay me however I want if I ask.

It's also gone up to 1,200 euros a month, including paid sick, personal and holiday days.

* does excited dance * Very Happy
bella1979

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that sounds a lot better than most teaching jobs in Italy! Just check about the "busta paga". You probably won't have anything to worry about, it sounds like a good teaching position and 1200 is not bad at all! (after tax I hope... Very Happy ) If you can also find some private students you'll be in good shape! Good luck with everything!

P.s. What is the name of the school if I may ask?
MrsMonkey

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh good, so nice to see some positive feedback on this one because I just handed my notice in on my current job and am crapping myself a bit.

It's called the something English Club and it's for children - will find out and let you know. It's fairly new and tiny I think, only a handful of teachers.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope it all goes well for you! When do you start?
MrsMonkey

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beginning of September I think, thank you!
MrsMonkey

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And on a slightly related note, can anyone recommend a good website for Roman flat/apartment/room-in-houseshare rentals please? I'm finding a lot of very dodgy ones and lots of expensive holiday rentals.

You know my budget!
Mrguay84

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's wrong with cash in hand?

Isn't that what most people prefer?
Whip me I'm Foreign!

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mrs Monkey!
You can try http://roma.bakeca.it/offro-casa-0 for flats and http://roma.bakeca.it/offro-camera-0 for share houses. Good luck!
And I think the 1000 euros "cash in hand" you're referring to must mean nett pay, which is what most people in italy refer to. On the other hand, If it's "under the table" you should steer very well clear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: