Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need info now about universities/schools Thanks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ctown75

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:56 am    Post subject: Need info now about universities/schools Thanks Reply with quote

We are going to the job fair in Dubai and would like to know what universities/schools are the best.We have done our reasearch on all of them but we are looking for more current info.We did read the threads on this subject and they were not to as helpful as we would like.Please no arguing just helpful opions from your point of view and why you think a place is good or bad.Does anyone have any info on the American University in Dubai that is current
tEFLon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: job fair Reply with quote

A lot of people are going to the job fair. There will be hefty competition for, at best, a few decent positions. Now why would anyone with any shred of common sense want to let a newbie from the outside in on this? (Not that someone won't.)

Here's one: Try Abu Dhabi University.
james

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:22 pm    Post subject: You didn't have to be so mean! Reply with quote

Dear tEFLon,

Your response to ctown75 seemed to be exceptionally harsh and uncalled for. Instead of being sarcastic, why not just remain silent. Pointing this person in the direction of ADU was particularly mean spirited. Give the guy/girl a break. You certainly don't have to create unnecessary competition for yourself, but you don't have to poke him/her in the eye by being nasty.

If ctown75 wants a legitimate lead, is male and possesses a Masters in Linguistics/TEFL/TESOL, then he should check out Hail Community College, Dammam Community College, or KFUPM. None of the three are in the UAE, but all three have many positions to fill. .

Cheers,
James
mli_vet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: MLI/Branch locations Reply with quote

You might also try MLI and branch locations--they are also hiring.

MLI Vet
Over and Out
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I refer the original poster back to my response under his/her Qatar query.

I fear that the way s/he has stated both queries will rub many the wrong way, including myself. S/he should probably not 'demand' and 'instruct' the people here on how or what to answer.

ctown, what is currently posted on this board is the most current information. Much on the Job Information Journal is old, but at least it gives us all clues on where problems have been. If you have read these boards, you know to avoid the current problems like MLI and ADU - and will ignore the above advice. Smile

I too would like to hear new information from the American University in Dubai. Perhaps no news is good news? But, one can't count on that.

VS
Saffron

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Further advice on UAE????????????? Reply with quote

If people log on here, are unable to read what is already online about the different institutions, are unable to realise which institutions to avoid at all cost, I must raise the question: how are they going to live in the Gulf without making life hell for themselves and all those surrounding them?

On the other hand....perhaps they need to test the waters (or to be more precise, the sands) and have a go at jolly ADU......that warehouse continues as desperate as ever for English speakers - native or otherwise, trained or not. Just speak some lines in English. You will be hired (and fired at ADU's free-wheeling will) in no time.

On the other hand, are those still "demanding" detailed info on the UAE (or other Gulf institutions) tailored for contributing positively towards the workplace?

(For colleagues who know the ME, forgive my impatience - I really have tried alerting professional colleagues about the dire conditions of ADU - at that was merely scratching the surface. )

All the best,

Saffron
Albulbul

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like others I am offended by the tone of this inquiry.

And if this is your mindset you will not last long in the Middle East.
tefllifer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: need info now about UAE colleges/universities Reply with quote

Hello,
The information available on this site gives indicators as to potential pitfalls and advantages regarding many Gulf posts.
Nobody who posts can make a decision for you - go for interview, armed with the info you have and a list of pertinent questions and see what happens.
We can't tell you what's best for you.
If the info here isn't helpful - look elsewhere, talk to people at the conference, etc. Some of the items on this site are personal and happened to just one person, but it's good to be aware. Also, there is a lot of stuff happening around and about which isn't being posted so this site doesn't tell the whole story...
Whether or not you make a wise decision, or are happy in a post depends on you, not the ESL cafe posters.
And, be aware, that things can change and what seems like a good deal today, can change overnight and be a disaster.
I've been in the Gulf for more years than I care to remember so what I can tolerate is probably higher than what you can if you are new to the area.
There is no 'try before you buy' - you just have to be confident in your own ability to assess a situation with the info you have, if you get interviews and if you get offers - what you do is up to you.
Why not forget everything you have read here, put in applications with an open mind and come back with specific questions when you have an offer.
Whatever...
nowasta

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:41 am    Post subject: MLI Reply with quote

Frankly I would avoid the MLI unless you secure nothing else. Things are not very good over there right now and people are very unhappy. On the positive side there very well could be a lot of positions in the next 2 years as there will most likely be a large exodus of 20-40 teachers. Good luck in your searches. Make sure you do not apply if you have any type of a distance or off-campus degree though. You will likely not be hired or you will be forced to resign within a few months of starting your contract.
nrandserial

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: MLI exodus Reply with quote

True, as Nowasta says, there will likely be an exodus from MLI over the next 15 or so months. This will be caused more by by the refusal of the Ministry of Education to recognise any distance mode MA's, than by adverse conditions at MLI.

I work at MLI and while I get severely annoyed at times, listening to teachers from other institutions helps to balance things out. For single, flexible teachers, MLI is still not a bad gig. By flexible, I mean beware that where and when you work is not something set in stone and can vary in 24 hours or less! For married teachers with children of school age children, look elsewhere. Also, don't expect your family to join you till 10 to 12 weeks after your arrival. And if you expect a 3 bedroom flat, HCT and UAE Uni are better bets.

I doubt MLI will be recruiting any more people with distance MA's but they will honour the contracts signed, and aren't forcing anyone with distance MA's to resign.
Sheikhdown

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject: Some SHEIKING GOING ON NEEDED! Reply with quote

Good to see all of you SURVIVORS still out there scratching the backs of the SHEIKS and their money. There has got to be a LOT of SHEIKING going on in this little country where anything and everything goes on at the discretion of the SHIEKS and their loads of relatives(your "students").
The bottom line with all of this is MONEY, MONEY, MONEY. Education? HA! Please don't insult the insulted!
It amazes me what humans will do to try and get a little of that oil money for themselves and call it teaching, and with a Master's or Doctor's degree no less.
Well, I am going to stop "sheiking" for the moment, but am going to write a HUGE piece entitled "THE SHEIKHS HAVE GONE MAD" in the next day or so.
It will be a good read, and hope everyone will think about it.
Shocked

Sheikdown,
I've edited your posting, deleting some of the more obscene and obnoxious content. If you want to keep posting on these forums, I suggest you tone down your rhetoric and keep it clean.
Paladin
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dmb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am happy being an EFL prostitue selling myself to the highest bidder.
tefllifer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe I am actually taking up the bait in the Sheikdown message and replying!
What on earth has provoked such an outburst?
Just where are you coming from and what are your real issues?
Have you ever actually been to the Emirates or an Arab Gulf country?
Yes, some students are from powerful families and have wasta - many are not - some genuinely want to get ahead and take their studies seriously.
Jobs over here are not necessarily well-paid - but the life-style is good and there are no taxes.
As for what people do in a classroom - most folk I know make a serious attempt to teach and prepare classes, etc. For sure, teaching may have a different meaning here - and it's often at a lower level than in other places - so what? It may require a different approach and different skills - so what?
As for whoring - I am just trying to put bread on the table, have a decent lifestyle and get my kids through college. Aren't those normal goals?
What's so wonderful about jobs elsewhere?
Basically society demands we have money - people go to work wherever to get money - so guess everyone who works is some kind of *beep* by your standards.
People choose to work abroad for all kinds of reasons - why earn peanuts if you can get a higher salary in the Gulf? Common sense - not whoring? Why live a hand-to-mouth existence if you can earn more money here?
Job satisfaction? This comes in a variety of modes - some get satisfaction from the job as it is, some mould the job into one which gives them satisfaction and others get satisfaction from what the salary and situation gives them.
Have you just been fired from somewhere?
Please, don't post your forthcoming article on the ESL Cafe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: