Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bahwan Cyberteck
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
While I was out

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was talking to a friend recently who says that during the probationary period you have to give 7 days notice, either the employer or the employee. Anyone know if that's true?
bje

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I was out wrote:
Was talking to a friend recently who says that during the probationary period you have to give 7 days notice, either the employer or the employee. Anyone know if that's true?

Forget what 'people say' and refer to your contract.
abayawearer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if you hire on with Bahwan, you will be required to give only 7 days' notice during your probation period, which will be your first 3 months. After the 3 months' probation period, you'll have to give them 3 months' notice or 3 months' salary to leave a contract early. You'll need to decide if you like your school enough to stay the entire contract by the end of your probation. After that, you'll have to do a runner if you want to get out without a long-ass wait.

Some will say to simply refer to your contract to find out what kind of notice you'll have to give, as though you are a moron and don't know to do that. The problem with that is when you go with Bahwan, you won't get the contract until you're on the ground in Oman. And even then, it will take several days before the agent will put the contract in front of you. You may work several days in the meantime. If you don't like what you see when you finally do get your contract, you'll miss out on being paid for those days and will have to buy your way back home. And given the habit of the major agencies talking among themselves about which teachers do what in Oman, if you run, you're done in Oman for at least a little while. Can you say 'Blacklist'?
While I was out

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks abayawearer. Sometimes contracts don't reflect labour law, so a contract could say you need to give 3 months notice, while labour law may say that only 7 days is required.

Oh, and how long would a blacklisted 'person' be 'ahem' blacklisted for? Theoretically.
abayawearer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Oman labor law requires a 7-day probation period, followed by a one-month notice period. Bahwan is just more strict. Like I'd wait around for three months at a job I hate or make a new employer wait on me for 3 months. Dream on, Bahwan.

Remember the agencies talk among themselves about what teachers do. If you work for one agency and do a runner, within hours, the other agencies will know and they won't hire you at another job. Running to Dubai won't work.

It's called example making.
Duffy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abayawearer,

Can you actually prove that these agencies talk to each other and that the so called "blacklist" actually exists?

Or is this all just another urban myth issued by Rumour Control?

Duffy Confused Confused
jdl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Duffy,

Abayawearer has a point. S/he must have been privy to some 'insider information' which is typically well guarded by the recruiters, Ministry and College ELC Directors/Deans. The Council of Recruiters and Unified Directors (CRUD) do meet semi-annually in Muscat ( usually in Ruwi) at recruiter expense to discuss and set guidelines for recruitment procedures, quotas, supply and demand dynamics (salary fixing), employee standards and of course black lists. The meetings are generally a matter of tracking the Council's progress along its five year , multi institutional, inter-ministry recruitment plan for ESL and College teachers. The black list is the one area in which there has been substantial interagency/interministerial cooperation and progress where we are now at the point of interfacing with the ROP in creating a shared 'Obsconder/whiner data base'. The most interesting operational feature of this data base initiative is the 'rectal recognition software' which will eventually be installed in discrete locations at the A Seeb and Salallah airports to identify and apprehend 'runners' and generally track and analyze employee 'movement'. Such sensitive and crucial work it is.

There is obviously a leak in CRUD. After 5 years of covert operation 'the CRUD' has come to light.....only the CID has a better record. No one can deny the fine work CRUD has accomplished in forwarding educational excellence in the Nation particularly in the area of Quality Assurance in Staffing. Hopefully this exposure will not hinder progress.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks jdl... I needed that good laugh with my tea this morning. Laughing

VS
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'blacklist' is an note on your record at the airport.

The sponsor could have recorded that the person left on a visa that wasn't properly cancelled or that monies were owed etc etc

I knew one guy who was sentenced and spent a week in jail. He worked in Oman for several years thereafter and there was always a phone call check made at the immigration desk when he entered or left the country.

A note on your record can prevent you leaving or entering.
jdl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So 'they' would have you believe. The conspiracy is deeper than a note on a paper or a screen. Beware! A friend of a friend of mine was detained in the empty quarter when his attempts to flee were thwarted at the airport. Surveillance is everywhere! Jail was the least of his worries! It is said that one in every four residents is an informant. Extreme caution! It is only paranoia when it is imagined! The many stories and facts speak for themselves. Stay vigilant sleepwalker.
abayawearer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffy wrote:
Abayawearer,

Can you actually prove that these agencies talk to each other and that the so called "blacklist" actually exists?

Or is this all just another urban myth issued by Rumour Control?

Duffy Confused Confused

No rumor, my friend. I was told 'the list' exists and the agencies talk to each other by reps at two agencies. It was a horse's-mouth thing.
abayawearer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdl wrote:
It is said that one in every four residents is an informant.

9 out of 10 of your fellow westerners in the ME are informants. Looking. Watching. Reporting YOU. Heehee.
abayawearer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Thanks jdl... I needed that good laugh with my tea this morning. Laughing

VS

This was right before you started today's commentator shift?

How much does the commentator gig pay? And does a commentator get a raise when he/she gets 5,000 posts in? 10,000 posts? Does it pay by the hour?
Duffy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abayawearer,

Quote:
It was a horse's-mouth thing.

Some pretty big mouths out there, Iwouldn't give any odds on it thats for sure.

Come on, you really believe all that crap? There have been so-called "blacklists" since time began and I have been around about that long! I have yet to see a single one.

Duffy Shocked Shocked
jdl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One end of the horse.....the other end.....same same ?

How goes it in LaLa Land Duffy. Borders still holding? Surf still up and the biryani still tasty?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: