Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Northern Cyprus teaching positions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otterman Ollie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Northern Cyprus teaching positions Reply with quote

Has the job market here come to a complete standstill? What are the chances of getting half decent jobs with a liveable salary, that pays the rent and more? Any updates available?
maruss

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Bad situation...... Reply with quote

Turkish Cypriots often cross the the Greek Cypriot side for work and other benefits because things in the north are very tough!
souvlaki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all due respect, Maruss, that is just a bunch of boloney...

FYI, salaries at college/university level are essentially the same on both sides of the border -- except for the notable exceptions of U of Cyprus and the new place in Limassol whose name escapes me at the moment -- and cost of living is a lot higher south of the border...

Greek Cypriots are fed this garbage about their Turkish counterparts and it works!
maruss

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: I think maybe you misunderstood? Reply with quote

We were discussing working at private institutes,not universities and colleges.There are many in the south but it is virtually impossible for a non- Cypriot to get a job in them,especially if they do not also speak Greek.If you have any info. on Northern Cyprus I would be very interested to read it-I can remember some years ago that there was a job at Lefke University but they were demanding top qualifications.

Cheers!
souvlaki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of years back, I sent my CV to American U in Girne, Eastern Med U, Cyprus International U, and Near East U. Three offered me jobs and the salaries + benefits were very comparable to the ones in S. Cyprus. They do not necessarily advertise positions, so you should be pro-active, but they like MAs and PhDs.
Good luck!
maruss

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the info. Reply with quote

That's interesting and worthwhile knowing,even though I could not take them up myself.I only have a TESOL qualification and no bachelor degree,let alone a Master or Phd. so it would be pointless me applying for such high-level jobs anywhere with my qualifications.The other thing is that my wife is Greek-Cypriot and although she lived in the U.K. for many years and we can now go all over the island since they opened the border in 2003,hardly any Greek-Cypriots work or live in the north,despite the fact that relations between the two sides are now better than is often thought.Our home is in Varosha,the former holiday resort suburb of Famagusta which has been occupied by the Turkish Army and off-limits to all civilians since 1974.We really hope there will at last be a political solution so we can return,even though the area is derelict and will have to be totally rebuilt.
All the best and cheers for now,
Martin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Greece All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: