Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pursue teaching in Kuwait

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tam0782

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: Pursue teaching in Kuwait Reply with quote

I graduated with an MBA as well as a Masters in IT, and was wondering how to get a foot in the door when it comes to teaching. I enjoy presentations and teaching individuals, but do not have any formal teaching experience except for the presentations and classroom discussions I have carried out while pursuing my masters.
I have seen that universities here do not require a PHD but require a minimum of a Masters with experience in teaching. Is my experience and degrees enough for a teaching job in Kuwait (university level; diplomas or undergraduates)? Do I need some kind of teaching certification?
Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated as a change in career is not the easiest decision to make.
Thank you for your time and hope to get some feedback from individuals out there.

A
15yearsinQ8

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try boxhill or australian college
tam0782

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks 15Yrs. My degrees are from the US. What about AUK ? and other American affiliated school? heard that AUK is a good school.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because if its good reputation, AUK will be more difficult to get a job. The better universities tend to require PhDs for content courses. That said... I'd go ahead and apply. Worst that can happen is a 'no thanks' reply... or no reply. Laughing

VS
15yearsinQ8

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you really need the cold, hard truth
someone who 'likes doing presentations' and with no teaching experience isn't going to get emplyed in a 'good' place until you get experience
auk will laugh off your cv
tam0782

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Unveiled, will give it a shot.

15 years, have trained a ton on individuals, written manuals, presentations, headed discussions, demonstrations etc. what i am talking about is class room experience.

i dont expect to start teaching right off the bat, and that why i am on here. I would like some prior experience in a classroom assisting instructors or teaching low level courses. So, should i apply as a teaching assistant on a part time basis? what should i do to get a foot in the door? Would i be able to shadow instructors? This is the kind of constructive information i am looking for. I have a full time job right now and looking at teaching as a part time gig (for now atleast).
bedwiya

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Having trained a ton of individuals" does not count as classroom experience. The good schools will want to know how many semesters/years you have been in a classroom and the various levels you have taught. There are no TA positions here. Unless you have wasta, you will not get in to the good unis without classroom experience that you can back up. Many places will ask for letters verifying your classroom experience/references and sometimes syllabi from the courses you have taught. Your best bet would be to try and get some p/t experience at an institute which you could then put on your CV. 15years is trying to give you realistic information, which is constructive if you listen to it.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're right... there is no TA or part-time for non residents. If you already happen to be in Kuwait, this might be an option (call them?). I'm not sure if they hire adjunct teachers but it is often a way to break into a system.

It is hard to say how a university like AUK would look at your credentials and where they would fit into the systems here. But, I'd say that it is probably your only option. AUME and GUST are there, but you can read about some of their problems here.

VS
15yearsinQ8

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

years ago, i got a guy who had 2 masters - an mba and mfa? (finance masters) a part time evening gig teaching at gust.
he taught a freshman course i think in accounting for less than what adjunct english teachers who also taught in the evening
there is pay discrimination in this respect
gust and ack and boxhill will do this but i seriously doubt auk will - their full time people are all phd's in business and finance and they get paid a whole lot for additional teaching loads

i have another idea if you are an american, pm me
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: