Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is approprite conduct on this forum?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TaoyuanSteve

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: What is approprite conduct on this forum? Reply with quote

A while ago someone posted something to the effect: "F%ck off you boring *beep*! and other insults. The thread was locked, however, I asked that the offending statements be deleted. They're stilll here. What is acceptable discourse on this forum? I'd like your ideas.
Paladin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not anymore, they aren't.
Paladin
P.S. Please PM me if you have any further concerns about appropriate board conduct in the future. It's difficult to keep track of all the forums, all the time.
killian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i nominate taoyuan steve as moderator. a couple of the names as moderator are pretty much ghosts. EOD does a fine job and having another frequent user as moderator only makes sense.
Fortigurn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

killian wrote:
i nominate taoyuan steve as moderator. a couple of the names as moderator are pretty much ghosts. EOD does a fine job and having another frequent user as moderator only makes sense.

Second that. Laughing
WorkingVaca

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:10 am    Post subject: Steve, Steve, Steve... Reply with quote

I Third.

And always keep in mind that a good moderator only deletes the crap that Steve mentioned above, and stuff that's irrelevant to the topic. Deleting stuff that doesn't match one's opinion isn't useful. But I'm sure TaoyuanSteve knows that already.
EOD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not, it is not that simple.
In this case the person posting profanity had done so on several occasions. The thread was locked up and left "as is" so that Dave Sperling himself could view the text and make the appropriate judgement about that persons presence on this board.
Busy as Mr. Sperling is, he still is the only one allowed to kick people off this board. His name is on the Web Site thus the moderating style reflects on him personally. Luckily for us teachers Mr. Sperling was once a teacher himself in Korea.
My opinion on moderating is this.
Free Speech, even though I may not agree with the outrageous statements made by some of our more outspoken posters I believe in their right to state them.
Thank you for your support on this as I get a lot flak particularly over that long-haired Cuban agitator and some of our more or less experienced teachers.
Profanity is not allowed nor are racial slurs. The first offence I will edit it out and send a very nice warning. Continued offences get locked up and I petition Dave to give the boot. He ususally doesn't.
Several moderators have lost their jobs for deleting or editing post with no offensive content.
Steve if you want the job send Dave Sperling an email with your qualifications and a CV.
He is a very reasonable person.
brian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Taoyuan Steve would make a good moderator. His advice has always been well supported, and he treats everyone very fairly. He is certainly more tolerant than myself, and I give him credit for that.
TaoyuanSteve

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vote of confidence was totally unexpected. Thank you all. I'm glad the obscenities have been removed. I agree with your stance on moderating, EOD. Believe it or not, I'm not a prude. I have no interest in seeing posts deleted simply because I don't personally agree with what they say. Nor do I shy away from debates. My history on the cafe should be proof of that. What I don't like is when people start needlessly insulting other users. I guess when EOD didn't respond to a pm I'd sent him regarding this issue, I thought that the position of the moderators on this forum was that insults and obscene language, of the sort we recently observed, were somehow acceptable. I'm glad to see it isn't.
daily chai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taoyuan Steve, seriously think about moderating. Best of luck to you. I fourth your nomination. Smile Hope it meshes with you current commitments so you can take the job. I respect your cool head in the flame wars that used to show up on the forum last summer.
Aristotle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thank you for your support on this as I get a lot flak particularly over that long-haired Cuban agitator and some of our more or less experienced teachers.

I represent that comment.
Evil or Very Mad
Aristotle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I nominate Killian for Moderator.
Not only has he successfully worked here in Taiwan for a number of years, he only post under one user name.
Lol
A?
killian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks but no thanks. my remaing 65 hours or so in taiwan will be short and sweet. i am too short of time to do anything but wallow in glee.

EOD does a fine job as is.

i don't get the "only posts under one name" and "lol".
TaoyuanSteve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, am mystified by the "only posts under one user name" claim. Who on this forum does that?

"lol" is internet common talk for "laugh out loud."

I'm not sure about the moderating thing. What exactly does the cafe want in a moderator?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: