Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

60,000 a month?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laben18

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: 60,000 a month? Reply with quote

so starting later this yr, according 2 something i read over the weekend, farangs (other than journalists) will have to be paid a minimum of 60,000 baht a mo. 2 obtain a work permit.

does this mean AUA is tripling its 235 minimum hourly wage Smile

seriously, how the hell is this gonna' work?
chokdee

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 4:20 am    Post subject: wow--where did you read this? Reply with quote

This is great news, is it true? When is this supposed to happen? I would love more information!

Several years ago I worked in the far south making 25,000 baht/mo. It was plenty of money to live on, but difficult to send money home for school loans. It will be a great thing for teachers if this regulation goes into effect.

Thanks for letting us know...and getting our hopes up!
kenkannif

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 5:12 am    Post subject: Well! Reply with quote

There have been two reports about this as far as I know both from Imm officials (although really you'd think it would or should come from the Labor Department). One chap said it would apply to teachers, one said it wouldn't. I personally don't think it will be enforced...and if it is it won't make salaries go up at most schools...it will just mean you're TAXED as if you were earning the amount you should be....so if anything it may well end up lowering wages not making them higher!

At the moment no one is 100% sure what's happening or what will happen. Bear in mind that a few years ago they were going to charge EVERYONE 10,000 Baht for a work permit......then they changed their minds and decided it was too much for a teacher to pay so our work permits are only 3,000 Baht!

There's a lot fo problems with this (as a WP is issued by the Labor Department, but Imm extend the Visa....so you could have a case of each department having a different set of rules!).

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do this (please edit if I'm not) but there's a heck of a lot of information (or not) about this here....bottom line seems to be.........wait and see!

Link:

http://aries.lunarpages.com/~tithai2/cgi-bin/ib/ikonboard.cgi?s=83598e8e3491060417913a2526b1814b;act=ST;f=9;t=7200;st=0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: