Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

recruiting time of year?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
daily chai

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:25 am    Post subject: recruiting time of year? Reply with quote

Is there a time of year when universities/colleges are recruiting lecturers, or a time of year when it's easiest to find a job in a language school?

I'm a native speaker, have three year's EFL teaching (one year at university), an MS Ed and an MS TESOL in progress (graduation June 2005). My French is pretty good. My spouse is EU, so I get working/residence permission from his status: but that will take 1-3 months to process, so we need to start looking early.

Thanks upfront for any advice!
lostinparis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For universities, the best time is right before the semester begins (September for fall, December/January for spring).

Lecturer positions are rarely ever advertised. What worked in my case (I teach at a university just outside Paris) is that I went to the main personnel/human resources office at the university and simply asked if they had any open positions. They hired me almost on the spot - and only asked to see proof of credentials afterwards. These offices are usually too lazy/busy to do a formal hiring process, which can work to your advantage if you go IN PERSON to see these people. (By the way, the "in person " advantage applies everywhere in France, not just at universities.)

At my particular university, the number of lecturer positions is quite high, as nearly every department in the university requires their students to take at least a bit of English these days (my students are 3rd and 4th years doing degrees in sports management!) i also know other people teaching classes of engineering and business students.

For language schools - most of the big ones hire year-round, as spots become available. Almost no one hires during the summer, since nearly the entire country shuts down and people go on vacation. Some language schools actually close their doors the entire month of August (mine does!)September ("la rentr�e") is a great time to look but there's quite a bit of competition looking at the same time too.

That said, I wouldn't look too far in advance, as most places will want you to start almost immediately if they hire you. Hope this helps. good luck!
daily chai

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: thx Reply with quote

Wow! What a great tale. That *does* help: I'll go in person, and not worry too much about going far in advance. Thanks for your reply!
Gretchen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the same hiring procedure apply for university lecturer positions for those without EU working papers? I'm a US citizen with similar qualifications (MA TESOL + tertiary experience), and I had completely written off the possibility of working at a university anywhere in the EU, let alone France.
lostinparis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the French say,

l'impossible n'est pas fran�ais

In case you couldn't tell from my prior post, I'm American and, yes, I am legally working at a French university. Nothing is ever impossible in France... paperwork is just more of a pain in the @ss if you are American.

There are only two ways I know of for Americans to work in France legally for more than 2-3 months. (that is, to get an appropriate work visa to teach in France without already having EU citizenship or being married to a French person).

1. The American Assistantship in France program
- check out www.frenchculture.org and click on "education"
- read my post about it: http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/job/viewtopic.php?t=7864&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=italy+spain&start=15

This is the visa I'm currently on - it gives me permission to work 12 additional hours per week in addition to the ones I already do as an assistant. I actually do more... but here in France, bureaucratic government offices don't know what the left hand is doing from the right hand. I just take advantage. Note that this is ONLY for assistants who are assigned to PARIS. Not all of the regions allow this kind of flexibility with the visa. The assistants have a forum to themselves as well, you can ask about specific regions there - maybe they can give you more answers:
www.assistantsinfrance.com

2. The French-American Chamber of Commerce organizes a work exchange program for US and French citizens to work in each others' respective countries. Details are at:
www.faccnyc.org

or click on this link to go directly to the stagiare program: http://www.faccnyc.org/intern_am_long.html

PLEASE NOTE: University lecturer positions in France are a strange beast. That is - they will NOT hire you unless you already have a full-time job. Technically my assistantship is not considered full-time. Let's just say I did some tricky work to get my university position approved....

A better option is to try to French-American Chamber of Commerce, work for another language school full-time (usu considered around 20 hours)and work for a univ part-time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: