Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No Overnight Guests Allowed in Singapore Apartments??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent007

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:22 am    Post subject: No Overnight Guests Allowed in Singapore Apartments?? Reply with quote

Hi. I'm considering taking a position in Singapore. I have noticed that on all of the rental agreements I've seen for one room apartments, it states that if any guest stays overnight, they will be thrown in jail, fined, and the tenant will be evicted. I am curious to know if this is really true, or if it is just some sort of weird bureaucratic sentence they put in all the agreements, but which nobody actually takes seriously.

I ask for the obvious reason that if my girlfriend stayed the night, it would be quite awkward to have her end up in jail. And also because just the existence of such a threat makes me question whether going to Singapore is such a great idea. Can it really be true that all studio apartment dwellers in Singapore are not allowed to have girlfriends or boyfriends? (Or at least not any with whom they are allowed to have intimate relations?)

I have lived in both Taiwan and Thailand, and loved both of those countries. I find this clause in the rental contracts a bit chilling, and am just curious if this is typical of life in Singapore.

Thanks for any feedback!!
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have rented several flats here (although none of them studio flats) and have never come across this. Sounds rather odd to me.
Krakatoa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Overweight Reply with quote

Nothing would surprise me. In my contract a couple of years ago I had something similar: . . . that is, nothing "immoral" to go on. What is "immoral?"

If I had had family or friends stay wth me I had to notify the "Land Lady" of their arrival and no doubt she would have either given her blessing or vetoed their stay on visual inspection of prospective stay overs.

If I had someone come and share the apartment there would have been a certain % increase in rent.

Great place is singers!!
WantToKnow

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: who stays where and when in Singapore Reply with quote

I never encountered this problem; however, there have been front desks in some places where I have stayed where one does not enter or exit the building without being seen. If I was told that no overnight guests are allowed, I would believe that this was going to be monitored in Singapore or elsewhere. I also lived in a place in Singapore, similar to the HDB (Housing Development Board) condos, where there was no front desk and where anyone could go into the elevator and up to their apartments without anyone watching. This was much more private than the other places. So, I think it depends on where you live and your landlord's rules.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: