Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

visa sponsorship

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xenophon0044

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: visa sponsorship Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I'm in Valparaiso/Vina del Mar looking for teaching work, I'm handing out resumes to local language schools but I have yet to talk with anyone about the possibility of being sponsored for a visa, are schools here likely to do this or are they more likely to expect me to work under the table without a visa? Thanks for any info on this.
xenophon0044

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean, before I came I understood that once you have a contract you can take it to extranjeria and get a work visa...but I have seen now that some companies want you to have a visa before you start working for them. I was told this when I applied at Berlitz, and I have heard from other people similar things about other institutions.
Dia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenophon... in vina and valparaiso most institutes are somewhat reluctant to help you get a visa, though many will do so in the end. Berlitz actually has a policy. Most of them are just a little lazy.

Yes, in theory you get the job, and go to extranjeria with the contract which must have a clause in it stating that you will NOT start working unitl the appropriate work visa/permit is granted.

most institutes will probably not actually follow that clause and you will work under the table til you get your visa, but they have to be willing to do this and write you up the contract with this clause. it is HARDLY any extra work for them and i think many of them just arent really quite sure about the requirements and dont want to get stuck up on any paperwork. they do have a little reason to be confused though because the paper chain makes things slow and you probably end up in a position where they want to pay you (and dont konw what to do in terms of withholding your taxes) however you havent been approved the visa, and therefore arent yet registered in SII the tax system, thus they cannot legally pay your taxes. the way around this is for somebody else to submit your boleta as a tercero, or pay you under someone elses name and therefore you will either lose or track down that percentage of the tax refund the next year (given itll be a month or two, probably not super significant)

keep looking, try to convince them that the visa issue is not a big deal.
osaeed09

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: work visa Reply with quote

It's good to see that this is an option. Having booked a flight to Chile without a work contract because I couldn't find a job I thought that it would be ok because surely not everyone has a work contract/visa before they land? Spoke to the Chilean embassy and they said there's no way I will be able to get a work visa out there which totally threw me. However I did think that perhaps this is what the embassy has to say to stop loads of people pouring in trying to obtain work visas.

If anyone is to the wiser on this subject then please post a reply-would be grateful for any more information.
lohanson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was very helpful! Thanks!
Lunkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of any institute having a problem with helping you get a visa. It's really no trouble for the institute, they only issue that might come up would be in how much your visa costs, if anything. Americans for example don't have to pay anything, Canadians have to pay like $150, and for British it's like $1000!! so check with the institute to see if they'll pay for that part, most should.

also you can work while your visa is in process, all you have to do is check this box on the application form that requests for permission to work while your visa is in process. so technically I guess you can't work legally until you receive back that piece of paper saying that you're in process and approved to work during that time, but I'm sure 9 out of every 10 schools have their own way of working around that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: