Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ILA Vietnam - Post Only Here
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mk87

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha I think we have our wires crossed. I also work at ILA. There used to be a rule that to take the DELTA through ILA you had to be officially employed by ILA (I think)..... I know that this is no longer the case. Anyone who has a CELTA can apply for a DELTA at ILA.
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mk87 wrote:
Haha I think we have our wires crossed. I also work at ILA. There used to be a rule that to take the DELTA through ILA you had to be officially employed by ILA (I think)..... I know that this is no longer the case. Anyone who has a CELTA can apply for a DELTA at ILA.

Bruno, ILA's Teacher Training Manager confirmed the Feb-Mar '14 Delta is full so I'm considering the DistanceDelta for Mod 1 and doing Mods 2-3 in Bangkok or ILA next fall. (I've only taught in China and Canada).

Does ILA's presence in Vietnam affect its competition? Are there other schools that are at least aware of the CELTA credential? I've mostly taught in China where many FTs don't even have a TEFL but since I do, I might consider doing my next contract there while working toward Mod 1 completion. Have any of your colleagues done the ICELT or TKT? Are they considered intermediary quals and would anyone recommend them? Most of my teaching has been with kids and beginner to lo-intermediate adults.
mk87

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not in a qualified position to give you the most up to date facts, but from what I understand I'll try to answer as much as I can.

First you say you have a Tefl? What qualification is it? The DELTA has some pre-requisites for entry, although from what you say it seems like you have already had some contact over that. Just a thought.

Secondly, if I had the choice between Bangkok and Vietnam I wouldnt even have a second thought. Vietnam is a easy place to live, pretty stress free (in my experience), I've never lived in Bangkok but I know people who have (dont we all :p) and I feel I made the right choice.

In terms of ILA's qualifications and the rest of the teaching world. ILA obviously offer the CELTA and DELTA. I think the CELTA that ILA offer affects things here. There are a few schools that require a CELTA or equivalent to teach, and certainly in terms of pay it will make a difference where ever you end up. Add to that the tried and tested methodology (its not the one true way, but its probably the best on offer) and yeah I think ILA's presence has an influence on its competition.
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mk87. I met an Englishman in Beijing last year who invited me to visit him in Vietnam sometime. I've been thinking about him lately.
misssapphire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

Just a bump - anyone working at ILA now in HCMC? how is it?
SimonW1986

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not working their now, haven't for over 6months. However a lot of people I know still do. Overall I think it's still a decent language centre to work at.

Steady hours if you are always willing to travel to a few other centres is yours is lacking in hours, (They did have an incident last year where a group of teachers were causing so many problems because they wouldnt travel to the next district to pick up hours they brought in a consultant). The salary is above the current average in the city if the truth about wages is to be believed.

You can come and go as you please outside of your teaching hours too. However expect to not have consecutive days off and brutal weekends still.

On the other side of the coin a lot of long time staff are leaving because of wages restructuring, including no relocation allowances, holiday pay not being paid monthly but in bulk at the end meaning its harder to gain overtime (could be argued it was too easy before) and I know a lot of the middle and junior management are leaving as they've merged too positions so lower pay and bruised ego's have affected that area too.

I reckon though if you are a new teacher or just want a steady reliable place to work it's up there with the best in the country
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: