Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ILA Vietnam - Post Only Here
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
I'm With Stupid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zajko wrote:
Full time salaried teachers get between about $1400 and $1800 a month according to experience. This is based on 82 hours teaching per month, and as most teachers actually teach around 24 hrs per week, this equates to about 100 teaching hours per month. Meaning about 18 hrs a month on average of overtime, paid at $20 to $25 per hour. Total salary therefore about $1800 to $2300, gross, based on 24 hours work a week. Likely to be very weekend heavy with two non consecutive days off during the week. In addition, they also now add around 7 extra hours of holiday pay each month for full time teachers.

Plus a relocation allowance and contract completion bonus.
VN-Teecha

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the CELTA course at ILA in April 2010. Of the 17 students who completed the course, nine of us applied to ILA. Out of those nine, eight were accepted (although two declined the offer). Four of applicants had PASS B while the others had PASS. Most of us had little to no teaching experience.

Taking the CELTA course with ILA does give you a leg up because you get an automatic interview at the end if you are interested in teaching for them and you also don't have to fill out an application (just give them a resume). It also works in their favor because they have seen your teaching firsthand.

However, I have heard that the usual acceptance rate for their CELTA trainees is quite low so don't assume you will get hired just because you paid for and completed their course.

Demand for teachers goes up a bit around Christmas when many people take contract breaks for the holidays. But my guess for the best time to apply would be late spring because summer school is a huge deal at ILA. I believe the demand for summer school teachers is the reason my CELTA class's acceptance rate was much higher than usual.

And regarding the hiring of Asians, there are several Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, and Indian teachers in addition to many other non-Asian minorities. I am an American viet kieu (Vietnamese born overseas). As long as you have the right credentials and are a native English speaker, I don't think your ethnicity would hurt your chances of getting hired.
deadlift

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they just didn't like you. Clearly they didn't care to have you in their organisation, for whatever reason.

I have to say that there is quite the arrogant and superior tone in your post. If that reflects how you conducted yourself during the CELTA, maybe it had something to do with it.
l_belzy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I was saying was that I was as good as the other people in the class, not that I was better. My last tutor just decided before he saw me teach that I was stupid and incompetent just because I am quiet and kind of spacey in my everyday life. Also, I wasn't a brand new grad and didn't have nice new pretty clothes like the people he liked. The way he judged me was based on things that had nothing to do with my teaching practice, and based on what he said to HR, all the accomplishments I had on my resume were completely dismissed. I think it is arrogant to dismiss all someone's achievements just because she doesn't fit some preconceived notion you have about how she should act in your input session--and I certainly didn't act rudely or break the dress code or fall asleep or anything like that.
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posting profanity leads to a permanent exit order here along with one's ISPs. In fact, it just happened to a now ex-member.

Report profanity to the Mods. Do not post it or quote it in a response. If you do, we will assume you are choosing to be part of the problem and not the solution here.
spanglish

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any opinions on getting/doing a management job at ILA? I'd be interested in working as an assistant coordinator at one of their branches in a small city.
The Mad Hatter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting a teaching performance review is very subjective no matter where you are. However as other posters have stated here, while in Vietnam the potential for acting unprofessional in a managerial position is quite greater. Be careful not to judge yourself against a review you may have received from employees at such an organization, as these are very prone to biases and hiring based on who you know. teachers come here to ply their trade, not because they are the most informed or the fairest. Ive had many mixed reviews and you cant let it bother you, after all they are your peers. Unfortunately as with ILA they are one of the main ones in town and thats just the way it is. The fact that they only honor CELT should clue you into the state of mind here in VN. There are much more valid credentials for teaching EFL or elt than just celta so to limit it to that is hardly standard practice. Go across town to another school and the story and requirements will be different. It's a bit silly actually.
I'm With Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't only honour CELTA at all. Plenty of people work for ILA with a TESOL certificate. As long as it's the equivalent in terms of observed teaching hours, you won't have a problem.
Skyblue2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are they ALWAYS recruiting managers?
Kornan DeKobb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skyblue2 wrote:
Why are they ALWAYS recruiting managers?

Or maybe they just suck to work for.
Skyblue2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping someone who had actually worked for them might have some insight.
minanor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, if not with ILA than who should you apply to?

I'm brand new to this and I'm fairly clueless what I should look for in terms of job placement once I finish my course.

What I am looking for:

- 1500 USD+ a month
- paid ticket back to the states
- transitional money
- 15+ hours a week

Things that would be fantastic

- Housing paid for
- TA
- language lessons
- CLOSE housing

WHAT SHOULD I be looking for? WHO should I apply to?
Skyblue2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

minanor wrote:
So, if not with ILA than who should you apply to?

I'm brand new to this and I'm fairly clueless what I should look for in terms of job placement once I finish my course.

What I am looking for:

- 1500 USD+ a month
- transitional money
- 15+ hours a week

Things that would be fantastic

- Housing paid for
- TA
- language lessons
- CLOSE housing

WHAT SHOULD I be looking for? WHO should I apply to?

If you're looking for a rundown on the basics of Vietnam and places to work there, maybe the ILA sticky isn't the best place to start the discussion.

There are several jobs for Vietnam advertised on the International Job listings. Try a search. See what they offer. There are many places to work, not only ILA.

No ILA vets here with insight into the management turnover enigma then? [/i]
Kornan DeKobb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skyblue2 wrote:
I was hoping someone who had actually worked for them might have some insight.

I was there. I stand by my comment.
deadlift

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

- transitional money

- Housing paid for

You won't get these. Vietnam doesn't do the Korean style "flights and accomodation" contract. You need to look after yourself, and you're better off for it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: