Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ILA Vietnam - Post Only Here
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
_smaug



Joined: 08 Sep 2010
Posts: 92

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm With Stupid wrote:
That's a part-time contract you're referring to.

Was a six-month, full-time contract, actually. But I had to really stay on them to get a full-time schedule.

It was worth it, though. At least for me.

I totally understand the allure of having a monthly salary auto-deposited in your bank account. But there is a dark side. And I saw a lot of weeping and gnashing of teeth over it once the reality of the situation set in among those eager, young teachers.

Anyhow . . .

ILA is a good school heck, ILA is a great school -- I'd sign again with them. But not on that salaried contract. Living is way too cheap over there to warrant it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dudeteacher



Joined: 27 Feb 2010
Posts: 147

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_smaug wrote:
I'm With Stupid wrote:
That's a part-time contract you're referring to.

Was a six-month, full-time contract, actually. But I had to really stay on them to get a full-time schedule.

It was worth it, though. At least for me.

I totally understand the allure of having a monthly salary auto-deposited in your bank account. But there is a dark side. And I saw a lot of weeping and gnashing of teeth over it once the reality of the situation set in among those eager, young teachers.

Anyhow . . .

ILA is a good school heck, ILA is a great school -- I'd sign again with them. But not on that salaried contract. Living is way too cheap over there to warrant it.


I'm curious, what's the problem with a salaried contract.
You get a guaranteed salary and over time.

I could guess what the problem is but I would rather someone in the know tell me.

Dude
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
esbam2002



Joined: 26 May 2011
Posts: 54

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kornan DeKobb wrote:
ILA does not hire many of those who pass their CELTA course, even seasoned teachers, despite their allusions to the contrary. Do NOT go there with that expectation.

Furthermore, the claim that they will provide successful candidates with "job placement services second to none" (as their website states) is a bold-faced lie, unless you consider it to consist of being given the names of a couple of schools.

They sweet-talk you before the course to get you to sign up, then continue to lure you during the course. Don't fall for it.


I'm sorry I know writing late on this, but after being here 3 years now when is anything the way Vietnamese say it will be in this country....I mean really I go to the Coop Mart and buy my "100% Fresh Milk" that has been sitting on a shelf at room temperature for who knows how many days....if it was "100% Fresh Milk" it would spoil in a few hours. Anyone who has been here long enough knows that everything is about the image and how it looks, and who cares about what is inside....hence the reason I have students with really high grades given to them by the school, but no English abilities....all about the image and the money.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
I'm With Stupid



Joined: 03 Sep 2010
Posts: 383

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dudeteacher wrote:
I'm curious, what's the problem with a salaried contract.
You get a guaranteed salary and over time.

I could guess what the problem is but I would rather someone in the know tell me.

Dude

The potential issues arise when people want to cut their contract short. There are two reasons why this might be an issue.

The first is that you want to cut your contract short at a time where you owe ILA hours (i.e. they've paid you for more hours than you've worked). Obviously your final month's pay is cut as the hours you owe them are removed from the hours you've worked.

And the second issue is that ILA will automatically register you to pay the lower tax rate, on the assumption that you'll stay a year. And since the lower tax rate is only available to people working in the country for longer than 6 months, if you leave before the 6 months are up, the tax office will retrospectively tax your previous earnings at the higher 20% rate. The result being that you will end up with a massive tax bill on your final paycheck.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dave_1



Joined: 11 Feb 2007
Posts: 77

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dudeteacher wrote:
_smaug wrote:
I'm With Stupid wrote:
That's a part-time contract you're referring to.

Was a six-month, full-time contract, actually. But I had to really stay on them to get a full-time schedule.

It was worth it, though. At least for me.

I totally understand the allure of having a monthly salary auto-deposited in your bank account. But there is a dark side. And I saw a lot of weeping and gnashing of teeth over it once the reality of the situation set in among those eager, young teachers.

Anyhow . . .

ILA is a good school � heck, ILA is a great school -- I'd sign again with them. But not on that salaried contract. Living is way too cheap over there to warrant it.


I'm curious, what's the problem with a salaried contract.
You get a guaranteed salary and over time.

I could guess what the problem is but I would rather someone in the know tell me.

Dude


....


Last edited by Dave_1 on Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Robyn



Joined: 10 Feb 2012
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Anyone currently working for ILA? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

My boyfriend and I have just been accepted onto a CELTA course due to start in April so we have been browsing prospective jobs for the summer/september start. I've come accross ILA and their job advert on tefl.com and their website looks pretty good but there are mixed reviews on here!

Just wondering if anyone who is currently working there/has been working there recently can tell me a bit about the company and what the job is like?

Thanks
Robyn
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
toiyeuthitmeo



Joined: 21 May 2010
Posts: 211

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robyn,

I've got the most recent information and would be happy to fill you in, but prefer to do so via email. I've sent you a PM. Cheers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jonathankambei



Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toiyeuthitmeo wrote:
Hi Robyn,

I've got the most recent information and would be happy to fill you in, but prefer to do so via email. I've sent you a PM. Cheers.


I've just had an interview with ILA and it would be great to hear from someone who has got up to date info on the organisation... I tried to PM you, but I'm new to the forum so I wasn't allowed to
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bon527



Joined: 23 Aug 2011
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Looking for recent information as well Reply with quote

Hello,

I've just arrived in Saigon and am thinking of applying at ILA. toiyeuthitmeo would you be able to PM me as well with the most recent information? I would PM you but don't have enough postings yet.

Thanks!

Bonnie
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
inhanoi



Joined: 22 Oct 2011
Posts: 165

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest taking great care with offers of "private" information. This is a public forum where all reasonable comments, pro or con, or accepted and appreciated. I don't appreciate this need for secrecy, as it eliminates the possibility of contradictory information or alternative viewpoints.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sophisticate



Joined: 29 May 2010
Posts: 38

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: ILA Is A Joke Reply with quote

Always have been, always will be.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team


Joined: 18 Jan 2003
Posts: 6017
Location: Anxious? Stressed? Repeat the following 300 times daily: A wet robin never flies at night.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A member has just been permanently banned for violating provisions of the following Announcement found at the top of this forum:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=77552
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Durian Tango



Joined: 05 Nov 2010
Posts: 65
Location: HCMC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to have been a long time since someone who actually worked at ILA posted on this thread.

It would be nice to hear from a current or former teacher at ILA who would give a quick summary of their experience working there, working conditions, perks of the job, pay etc. Whatever they'd like to share. We often hear about 'the friend' that worked somewhere, but I'd prefer to hear it straight from the horse's mouth so to speak.

I'm curious about HCMC particularly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheRedDeluge



Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Durian Tango wrote:
It seems to have been a long time since someone who actually worked at ILA posted on this thread.

It would be nice to hear from a current or former teacher at ILA who would give a quick summary of their experience working there, working conditions, perks of the job, pay etc. Whatever they'd like to share. We often hear about 'the friend' that worked somewhere, but I'd prefer to hear it straight from the horse's mouth so to speak.

I'm curious about HCMC particularly.


This last post is now two years old. I was hoping to get the same info. about ILA. So if anyone would be kind enough to pm me, I would greatly appreciate it. I would love to know more about the HCMC branch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mark_in_saigon



Joined: 20 Sep 2009
Posts: 793

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: my suggestion Reply with quote

The thing about these more successful operations, they pretty much have a system in place that they use, and they are quite likely to seek a certain profile. Not saying any one has a particular profile you can state with absolute certainty, but generally expect them to seek younger people who do not have a lot of experience, but do have some education and the required certification. An organization that has a real process does not really want or need a person who has too many of his own bright ideas, it is better to get people who have financial need and will be good followers. Occasionally some of these places will need someone with greater potential and experience.

Having said all that (assuming it is true), then the next thing to understand is that many of us are not going to fit that profile anyway. If you do, and want to work at that kind of place, send them your resume. They are not bad employers if you are okay with that kind of a job. But because they are stable and big, they get far more aps than they will need, and I suspect about 80% of us would never hear back from them. So to slice and dice their organization is not really that important anyway. What is important to most of us is to find a job. We should apply to the kinds of places that generally fit our goals for location and the kind of work we want to do (young children, older children, adults, advanced students, whatever) and then judge each employer based on what he shows you as he responds. If you reject employers based on unprofessionalism, you are going to be narrowing your choices quite severely. Mostly we have to choose based on the feeling we get for the situation right as they make an offer, knowing it is not anywhere near close to perfect, hoping it will work out for now, or is worth a try. We generally do get paid, everything else is pretty much pot luck. The very high turnover in the industry testifies to all this. If we make a career out of this (at least in VN), it is mostly like a contractor, here and there and everywhere, maybe one will work out for a longer period, but that is more the exception than the rule.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2011 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Road2Spain - TEFL and Spanish with one year student visa
EBC