Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good news for all you folks in Vietnam!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
weigookin74

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Good news for all you folks in Vietnam! Reply with quote

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/17/mcdonalds-opens-first-restaurant-vietnam

You can eat a Big Mac.
BenE

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err did you check the date of that article. It's 3 years old. Not sure they're gonna be expanding.
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the original plan was to open in Saigon first then expand to Hanoi and Danang if it was successful enough. I'm not sure how well it will do. The Burger King in Danang closed down within in a year... now only the one in the airport is available.

Vietnamese just don't like beef burgers. If they can market their chicken and fish options, they should do fairly well. Just like KFC and Lotteria.

With how much the Vietnamese think fat children are super cute, it should be a hit.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExpatLuke wrote:
Vietnamese just don't like beef burgers. If they can market their chicken and fish options, they should do fairly well. Just like KFC and Lotteria.

With how much the Vietnamese think fat children are super cute, it should be a hit.

Ironically, sometimes the cultural versions of fast food standards taste better and are healthier.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Saigon when they opened McDonand's (if memory serves, they opened two restaurants on the same day) and, initially, the queue was out into the street Rolling Eyes. Of course, within a couple of weeks, the hype died down, but, every time I went into a Saigon McDonald's, there was still plenty of customers and I'd be very surprised if McDonald's in Vietnam wasn't there to stay.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Good news for all you folks in Vietnam!

You can eat a Big Mac.

I know the local food where you are doesn't enjoy that great of a reputation, but having access to a Bic Mac isn't really "good news" IMO. It's pretty much industrialized crap. The big appeal for the locals is that it's clean modern place with A/C where they can meet their friends instead of sitting on footstools out in the heat in the gutter.

For expats, much better quality western food is available for fairly reasonable prices in most cities. And, although I am not big fan of Vietnamese food, I'd much rather have some Pho Bo or Bo Luc Lac than eat a fastfood burger. It tastes better, is better value-for-money and keeps revenue in the local economy rather than giving it to a transnational corporate behemoth.

Or, for that matter, it's a much better idea to go to a Korean restaurant and have some bibimbap a couple times a month just for a change of pace.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: