Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this right about Vietman?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blingcosa

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:43 am    Post subject: Is this right about Vietman? Reply with quote

So I've been thinking long and hard about making the move from Beijing to Vietnam. I've been trawling through these boards, and I'd like to know if these things are correct:

1. Because I have drink-driving convictions from my home country, I won't be able to get a work permit.
2. But I don't really need a work permit, most teachers in Vietnam work without them
3. To get a 3 month tourist visa outside Vietnam, I need to buy an invitation letter online?
4. It is difficult to get more than 20 working hours a week

Thanks kindly
EFL4Life

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Is this right about Vietman? Reply with quote

Last edited by EFL4Life on Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:52 am; edited 1 time in total
sigmoid

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. You need a clean criminal background check in order to get a work permit. So, if they show up, it might be a problem.

2. What EFL4Life said.

3. As far as I know, you don't need the letter. It's mainly a convenience for people already living in VN. If you have the letter, you don't need to go to the embassy. If you don't have the letter, then you need to go to the embassy/consulate and apply and wait a day or more to pick it up. A friend of mine just got a 3-month tourist visa in Vientiane, Laos, for example. So, it depends on how easy it is for you to get to the VN embassy/consulate.

4. Hours fluctuate seasonally. Now until about October is the peak season. Things start slowing down in Nov. and stop for Tet (Lunar New Year, same as China) when schools are closed for 2 weeks. You'll still have hours before and after Tet, maybe even a full schedule. Overall, I think maintaining an average of 20 hrs/wk in the big cities is not very difficult.

Basically, you can search for "teaching jobs vietnam" and find some job ads, get in touch with some schools, then come and check things out in person. The summer is starting NOW.
TRH

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this right about Vietman? Reply with quote

Blingcosa wrote:
3. To get a 3 month tourist visa outside Vietnam, I need to buy an invitation letter online?
Perhaps you refer to the "visa on arrival"? You can arrange for that online.

If you are from the US (not sure since you said drink instead of drunk) you may be eligible for a one year tourist visa but you may need to get it from the embassy in Beijing.
rogerwilco

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Is this right about Vietman? Reply with quote

TRH wrote:

If you are from the US (not sure since you said drink instead of drunk) you may be eligible for a one year tourist visa but you may need to get it from the embassy in Beijing.

Is that available now ? I have seen where there is a plan to do that, but I have yet to see where it is available.
twowheel

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did a double take at the title...Vietman. Exclamation

Very Happy

twowheel
TRH

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Is this right about Vietman? Reply with quote

rogerwilco wrote:
TRH wrote:
Is that available now ? I have seen where there is a plan to do that, but I have yet to see where it is available.
I may have jumped that gun. I think it is passed but may be not yet implemented. The one year tourist visa seems to tie in to the reciprocity requirements of the TPP. Since the US allows 1 year multi-entry tourist visas for Vietnamese (granted screening for potential visa jumpers) then Vietnam must do the same. The problem is that the TPP is signed but not yet ratified by the US Senate and the Viet authorities are certainly aware of that. If you are an American, write your senator in support of TPP.
SimonW1986

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Maybe have to see how the school feel
2. Loads do, but it means either risking dodgy visas if renewed inside the country (a lot of teachers recently found they had fake ones) or going on visa runs which can be irritating and expensive. Many go to Cambodia but honestly you're better off flying to KL or BK if you plan ahead as the Cambodian visa can reach $40.. There have been minor threats of clampdowns on teachers on tourist visas too.
3. You can get the tourist visa invitation letters online from loads of places now. You can even get business visas too
4. I never had trouble as I was happy to work for a big language centre company. Lots work for 2/3 places too I believe but i've never been on under 22 hours teaching for long. Now i'm on a fixed salary.
Triple Dragon

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, sorry about the typo in the heading

I am from New Zealand

Thanks for the replies so far, much appreciated
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: