Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TESOL from US or CR? Part-time? Children?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lalatu913

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: TESOL from US or CR? Part-time? Children? Reply with quote

My family and I are planning on moving to Costa Rica this coming Jan/Feb. We'll be running my father-in-laws restaurant in Heredia and I would LOVE to do some teaching. I know I'll need a TEFL/TESOL certificate and I'm debating on getting it online here so I can try to teach as soon as I get there, or to get it there and find a job after. I'll mainly be working with the restaurant so I'd be only available for part-time. So, my questions are:

What are your opinions of getting TEFL/TESOL certified in the US or CR? And what are the pros/cons of each? (there's a lot about online/on site, but I want to know if I should get it here then come and look for a job as soon as I get there, or to do it there) And is it a possibility that I won't get considered because I don't have a degree at all?

Do most schools require full-time or does it really depend on the need of teachers? I'd even consider doing private lessons in exchange for Spanish lessons, which I don't know anything besides Hola!

Lastly, do any of you have children who are living with you in CR? Were bring our 2 little ones and I'm terrified because I don't know how it'll be. Of course we'll be making a couple trips before hand to get prepared, but if any of you have any thoughts or experiences of having your children live with you please let me know!

I apologize if these questions have been answered, I noticed a lot of the answers were a year or two ago and I know somethings can change so I thought I'd ask anyway. Either way, thanks for your posts, they've helped me a lot!
jprimm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that most schools here will require that you have a college/university degree and a certification.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: