Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Georgia recently?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eurobound

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP,

How far is your $300 per month going in Georgia? I was interested in the program a few months back but was put off for various reasons, one of them being the fact that it's only a stipend and not a living wage. I know accomodation is free, but also heard that a part of your stipend goes to your host family (which of course is only right and I don't have a gripe with that). Basically, how much of your own money, if any, do you need each month to supplement this stipend?

I'm still kind of considering applying, so any info' you can give me would be appreciated.

Thanks.
cks

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would definitely need to bring some backup money if you want to travel, shop, or eat out. Tbilisi can be very expensive as well. If you go a few months without spending your stipend (your host family will feed you), then maybe the money that you saved can be used for some traveling and spending at the end of your stay. I believe that they require you to pay 100 Lari to the host family (about $70), one third of your salary. So roughly you will have about $230 per month. Keep in mind that you will naturally want to see the rest of the country and possibly travel to Turkey, Armenia, and Azerbaijan-in which your stipend will not be able to cover unless you are very frugal.
cartago

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKS, your post was really interesting, I was in Georgia in 2008 but only in Tbilisi and the situation was totally different. The women there were much more liberated. I didn't experience many power cuts when I was in Georgia but I remember the national museum was closed indefinitely because of some dispute with the electric company. I don't know if that's still the case.
cks

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life in Tbilisi is completely different than life outside the capital. And another point-that I cannot stress enough is that life is completely different for a man than a woman; especially if you have blond hair and fair skin- I cannot really go into details without being highly culturally insensitive, but the gender issues are horrid. Every third household is involved in domestic violence and one of my friends in the TGL program just informed me that she knows of a few instances to where host fathers are actually beating up their wives in front of these participants because such behavior is considered normal.

So as a woman and someone who cares for the rights of my gender, I have every right to warn any woman who wants to do this program the obstacles that they may face. I think it is wrong for them to place young single women in the villages; there are too many problems and dangers in my opinion. I know of many tragic stories regarding this topic- and I myself have had my bum grabbed by a stranger on the road (I was completely covered and wearing a coat) and my *beep* were grabbed by the man selling me bread in broad daylight. I can direct you to a blog that is conducted by a man who is in this program- and many of these topics have been discussed- and many of the girls in this program have posted their experiences- ie- host fathers sexually molesting the participants, domestic violence out in the open, and being attacked at the disco, ect... I gave you a fraction of my experiences.

So again- traveling Georgia is a great and wonderful experience- especially when you are with a group of people. The Georgians are kind and loving people and will give you great hospitality. But as the same goes with any country- traveling and living there are two completely different experiences. And if you are a man- you will be treated like a king and enjoy the hospitality.

I personally live in Samegrello. I do not only hang out with foreigners; I am completely immersed in the culture and know them quite well. I have lived here for a year and half and am giving first hand info. I am giving you experiences as a woman. And most of all- you cannot compare Tbilisi with the rest of Georgia. The "real" experience is outside of Tbilisi- which is both good and bad. And not everyone is going to be placed in Tbilisi. So again- short term the program can be great! As a woman- be cautious.
jooooooey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just kind of going back through the Georgian posts because I really love the country, this post has taken a different turn. I�d just like to give the other side.

I�m not a woman but I can�t imagine that life in the villages is so bad, I used to visit Lentexi for weeks at a time, and I would have loved to have been placed there, even being kind of backwards people were good. Some girls who were placed in the villages liked it a lot. But others didn�t. But you know, if you have problems TLG moves you to a different place.

As far as domestic violence goes, that�s not the norm. cks makes it sound like it�s something that happens a lot. I don�t speak from experience of living in villages as a Georgian girl, but where are you getting this every 3rd family information?

It�s a different culture, women and men aren�t the same like they are in the west, but people in general are real respectful and polite.

Last edited by jooooooey on Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
jooooooey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cks wrote:
You would definitely need to bring some backup money if you want to travel, shop, or eat out. Tbilisi can be very expensive as well. If you go a few months without spending your stipend (your host family will feed you), then maybe the money that you saved can be used for some traveling and spending at the end of your stay. I believe that they require you to pay 100 Lari to the host family (about $70), one third of your salary. So roughly you will have about $230 per month. Keep in mind that you will naturally want to see the rest of the country and possibly travel to Turkey, Armenia, and Azerbaijan-in which your stipend will not be able to cover unless you are very frugal.

The 300 dollars was plenty for me, even after helping out the family. That�s not a requirement, by the way, you are just expected to offer it because a lot of people in Georgia are poor. My first family refused, my second accepted it.

I traveled, ate out, and occasionally bought some clothes without bringing a savings with me. I didn�t have enough to visit Turkey, etc. but it�s cheap to travel in Georgia. I usually didn�t eat at the touristy restaurants, I shopped in the cheaper markets where Georgians shop, I traveled in the collective Marshutkas that were cheap. So if you want to live like you did back home, then maybe it wouldn�t be enough. But for me I managed to save some money by the end.

There were occasionally power outages in Tbilisi. There weren�t a lot but it happened from time to time, I think the longest was an hour or two.
golsa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jooooooey wrote:

The 300 dollars was plenty for me, even after helping out the family. That�s not a requirement, by the way, you are just expected to offer it because a lot of people in Georgia are poor. My first family refused, my second accepted it.

The monthly 100 lari payments to host families has been mandatory for almost one year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: