Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do not bother to teach in Vietnam
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Byzantine

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:33 am    Post subject: Drat Reply with quote

FGT wrote:
Corum isn't on the coast, it's east of Ankara, about 4 hours on the bus as far as I recall. It's main claim to fame (apart from producing chick peas by the tonne) is that it's the home of Bogazkale (Hattusas - the capital of the Hittite empire). I went there some years back when Korban Bayrami fell in early May and it was BEAUTIFUL - lush, green, mountainous. Eagles flying overhead, streams of fresh, cold water. Carpets of grape hyacinths etc. I also went there one August which was also good but spring is better. Yazilikaya and Alacahuyuk are also historical sites nearby well worth a visit. My one regret is falling in one of the FRESH streams with my Minolta camera - farewell old friend!

Well, yet another reason to pay another visit to Turkey. Sounds fantastic. 4 hours on the bus from Ankara?
James_T_Kirk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I check out the Turkey board occasionally, as I am interested in possibly teaching there someday. I have been intrigued by this thread, as I am planning on going to Vietnam this summer to find a job teaching English.

Quote:
The students in Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand etc...are more docile and more pleasant to deal with (in class) than a comparable group of Turks (on average), but the boredom factor in South East Asia and the cultural divide make it difficult for most individuals to put down roots here for any length of time.

Boredom factor in Southeast Asia? Ghost, if you are bored in Southeast Asia, I would argue that you would be bored anywhere in the world! Also, you continue to state how different the "values" are between the people of Southeast Asia and Westerners. To me, the difference in values is an incentive to get a job in Vietnam; part of the joy of living abroad is exposing yourself to both values and cultures completely different from your own.

I wish you the best of luck Ghost. I hope you find a place that fits your criteria.

Cheers,
Kirk
khmerhit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread merits an award--i dont know what or why--but it does. One finds it compelling.

Ghost droned
Quote:
Indonesia is not overrun with tourists (except in Bali area) and that is definetely an advantage. This could hardly be said for the part of the world where one is now travelling (Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos). You have no doubt noticed how countries quickly lose their initial charm once they fall into the trap of catering to commercialized mass tourism.

Quite. Greece, for example. Not Cambodia, however. Not by a long shot. One is mistaken. Smile

Thanks for the tips on Latin America. Nicaragua sounds quite the place.

kh Arrow
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: