Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sharqiya University?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mccainjohn96

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr. English,

What's up with Sharqiya?
mccainjohn96

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ELS seems to be managing teachers for Sharqiya U, as they did when U of Nizwa started up. There was a thread at the time about how ELS had a policy of never giving release letters. Anybody have current info on that?
madrileno

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone in the Dave's Intl Forum! This is my first post.

I joined the forum because I decided to accept a job offer from Sharqiya U and found this forum useful in the months leading up to my move to Oman.

The little information I can provide to others in this thread curious about the program is a copy of the email Dr Mansouri sent me with the job offer:

Quote:
"Thank you for your application for a job as an English Language instructor. We are interested in offering you a job as an English Language Instructor at A'Sharqiya University, a new private university in Ibra about 150 km from Muscat, the capital city of Oman. You will be teaching English for foundation year students and the program will be run by the ELS Centers. The title is an English Language Instructor for Foundation Year students and the start date is 18 or 25 September 2010 but actual teaching will start in the first week of October. Working Days: 5 (Saturday-Wednesday). Teaching load: 20 contact hours a week. Office hours: 8 (plus minus)
The package includes the following:
1. Salary: US$ 2000-2500 per month (depending upon qualifications and experience)
2. Annual round-trip ticket.
3. Medical insurance
4. Furnished accommodation.
5. Annual vacation of 45 days but we may need you to teach in the summer course. You will be paid extra for this course.
If you are interested, please let me know and send me copies of your academic qualifications,your passport, two lwttwr of reference and a recent photo."

I've been offered the maximum 2500 remuneration (I think it's about 1000 riyals/month).

I've a question for those who've worked in Oman already. I'm coming from a job in South Korea, where you're responsible for purchasing your airline ticket which you receive reimbursement for later. Is it the same with Oman, or should I expect them to buy a ticket for me?

Thanks in advance.
Never Ceased To Be Amazed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The normal procedure is for them to purchase the ticket and send the particulars/e-ticket number to you...

NCTBA
madrileno

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never Ceased To Be Amazed wrote:
The normal procedure is for them to purchase the ticket and send the particulars/e-ticket number to you...

NCTBA

Thank you for the info!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the normal procedure in Oman that they provide the ticket.

VS
Gypsy Girl

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: A'Sharqiya University Reply with quote

It's been a month or so since anyone wrote about A'Sharqiya University in Ibra. I've been offered a job there, too...I have a job offer letter, but no employment contract. Dr. Mansouri (Director of the English program) never set up an interview, but I did talk with him once, briefly. He said they are on vacation this week, and he can send me a contract after the 18th..this is after he talked about sending my my air ticket, leaving sometime between the 23rd and 28th of this month..??!! I also asked him about visa documents, as I can't get thru to the Omani Embassy in Washington D.C. (voice message machines, and they don't call u back)...he said not to worry about that, just bring the documents with me and they would take care of it there(??!!)
Dr. Mansouri did give me the website address for the new uni, and I read it...also called the 2 U.S. universities they have partnerships with, and apparently it is real.
1. I've never heard of going to work somewhere without pre-arranged visa,
2. without employment contract

Should I trust this situation? Advise? How about living in Ibra as a single woman? I like to walk and explore a lot.. I read about Ibra, and sounds really interesting, but was from a guy's experience

Thanks for any feedback!

Sorry, just saw the most recent post from madrileno...anyhow...thoughts anyone?
mccainjohn96

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So can you give us the website URL? Don't worry about the documents. If you bring the originals, they will certify them in Muscat. I also have an offer and ticket being processed, but no mention of salary. My main concern at this point, besides the low salary range cited above, is ELS's reputation for not giving release letters.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=27547&start=0
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: A'Sharqiya University Reply with quote

mullerteri wrote:

1. I've never heard of going to work somewhere without pre-arranged visa,
2. without employment contract

Should I trust this situation? Advise? How about living in Ibra as a single woman? I like to walk and explore a lot.. I read about Ibra, and sounds really interesting, but was from a guy's experience

To be honest, for all 4 of my jobs in the Gulf - 2 in Oman, I never saw a contract before I left, though I was always heading to more well-known employers than this. I would get a one page employment offer that explained pay, benefits, length of employment, and a few other basic things. My last job in Oman, I came in on a tourist visa and the employer turned it into a labor card within a couple weeks. It requires medical tests, fingerprints, and such, be complete. But, none of the places were as unknown as this new institution.

ELS will have its issues. A read of the older threads will give you a taste. As with most jobs, it will depend on the management on the ground... and since it is new place, no one knows how things will go. You will need to take very low expectations of efficiency and thus, lots of patience and a sense of humor (and/or of the absurd). Laughing

I don't know if we have any female posters here from Ibra, but I would check with them once you get there as to the local limitations. I suspect that it will more be common sense stuff. Dress modestly... in town, walking and exploring should be little problem. It is probably better to go off into the countryside with a group until you know what's up. Oman is generally very safe, but I've never lived in the smaller village areas.

VS
mccainjohn96

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a liquor store in Ibra, or do you have to go to Sur? I assume there is one in Sur. If not, the whole of Sharqiya must be without a regular liquor store.
Gypsy Girl

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: A'Sharqiya University Reply with quote

Thank you, VS for your help and advise! Yeah, I've read a lot of posts about Oman, and even a couple on Ibra, but none from a woman's perspective. Yes, good advise also about having low expectations...and high level of patience, I guess Smile

For mccainjohn96: the website for A'Sharqiya University is:

www.asu.edu.om

The building featured on the website is not the new uni in Ibra.... it is a building in Muscat, from what I've been told... Dr. Mansour told me Thurs. morning when I called him that he'd not yet been to the area of the new university.... there is also, as yet, no mention on the website of ELS as part of the English language program (Dr. Mansouri told me they'd signed a 3-year contract with the university)...
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked out their website... which is very spare what with not having had any students as yet. Like the private college where I last taught, it is an American system. On the employment page, it requests applicants from the US, Canada, Aus, NZ, and South Africa. Very strange... so no Brits need apply?

VS
TheSilentKind

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mccainjohn96 wrote:
Is there a liquor store in Ibra, or do you have to go to Sur? I assume there is one in Sur. If not, the whole of Sharqiya must be without a regular liquor store.

Sorry, but I think you'll be out of luck on finding a liquor store in Ibra. I know Sur definitely doesn't have one. I only know of the ones in Muscat and Sohar. And anyway, you'll need to have the university to approve you getting the Liquor Licence first or will the teaching contract be with ELS?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of an employer denying a liquor license to a non-Muslim expat teacher. I'm sure we would have heard about it here if they did. Laughing Though I have worked with a few that should have been denied the license. Perhaps one will have to drive to Muscat for supplies.

VS
mccainjohn96

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the liquor license was only good in the province you lived in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: