Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sharqiya University?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be governate in Oman... and since I've never had a liquor license, I wouldn't know for sure. We need to find someone who has had a liquor license in the hinterlands. Cool

VS
mccainjohn96

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. According to Wikipedia, there are 5 "regions" and 3 "governorates" in Oman. These 8 are each divided into provinces (wilaya).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provinces_of_Oman

I was issued a liquor license in Salalah. I tried to use it on a visit to Muscat and they said no can do.

I hear people in Ibra go to Muscat to buy liquor. I'd like to know how that works in terms of a license. I guess they are issued a license by the Muscat Police Department, even though they live in Ibra. I assume ELS would have no problem issuing a letter of no objection for the license, but then again they seem to have been uncooperative about release letters. Anybody know?
Gypsy Girl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
I just checked out their website... which is very spare what with not having had any students as yet. Like the private college where I last taught, it is an American system. On the employment page, it requests applicants from the US, Canada, Aus, NZ, and South Africa. Very strange... so no Brits need apply?

VS

I agree, VS, the website is very limited and general...and yes, I also noticed the absence of UK from the list for applicants (it was among questions I'd asked Dr. Mansouri in an email..no reply as yet).

It would be great to hear from someone in the area who knows of the university site, what it looks like, news, etc?

Any women out there who have lived & worked in Ibra? I would really appreciate hearing from you Smile
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mccainjohn96 wrote:
Hmmm. According to Wikipedia, there are 5 "regions" and 3 "governorates" in Oman. These 8 are each divided into provinces (wilaya).

Well... if it is in wikipedia, it must be right. Laughing (what did we do before wikipedia and google?) From my years in Oman, I never heard the term "provinces" used. On the English news, they would use the terms region, governate... and wilayat. In my mind I always rather translated it as "county" because of the normally small size... which seems closer in English usage.

I think of "province" as in Canada as equal to "state" in the US and "governate" in Oman. I wonder who chose the translation.

But we digress... Oman trivia... Cool

Hopefully ELS with its office in Muscat can arrange Muscat liquor licenses.

VS
TheSilentKind

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mccainjohn96 wrote:

I was issued a liquor license in Salalah. I tried to use it on a visit to Muscat and they said no can do.

I hear people in Ibra go to Muscat to buy liquor. I'd like to know how that works in terms of a license. I guess they are issued a license by the Muscat Police Department, even though they live in Ibra. I assume ELS would have no problem issuing a letter of no objection for the license, but then again they seem to have been uncooperative about release letters. Anybody know?

I had a few friends working with ELS in Oman and as far as I know, no one ever had a liquor licence... but then again, maybe they didn't stay long enough to ask!
madrileno

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: A'Sharqiya University Reply with quote

Gypsy Girl wrote:
He said they are on vacation this week, and he can send me a contract after the 18th..this is after he talked about sending my my air ticket, leaving sometime between the 23rd and 28th of this month..??!! I also asked him about visa documents, as I can't get thru to the Omani Embassy in Washington D.C. (voice message machines, and they don't call u back)...he said not to worry about that, just bring the documents with me and they would take care of it there(??!!)

Thanks for this info. At least you managed to talk to him! I never once spoke to him on the phone, but was offered a position once I sent in scanned copies of all the documents they asked for.

Normally I'd be apprehensive about taking such a position, but my choices were between Sharquiya U in Oman, a private school in Saudi Arabia, or staying on in Korea. The bad economy in North America has sent a flood of newbs here, which has driven down salaries and made the ESL market too competitive. That's why I decided to try the Middle East. At least I'll still be making more than I am in Korea, plus the currency in Oman is more stable than the won.

It's good to know they're on vacation this week. I was waiting for a response after sending in my signed copy of the offer, and was getting nervous. I'm just waiting for my flight ticket now. The anxiety is killing me!

Good Luck to everyone else heading to Ibra later this month!
santivalle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Removed to protect the innocent" ;P)

Last edited by santivalle on Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Duffy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Santivalle,

deleted

I don't know if this is fact or just another "urban myth". But, if true, then some well meaning folks may get into deep doodoo now you have outed this practice.

Duffy Shocked Shocked

Last edited by Duffy on Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
santivalle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffy wrote:
Santivalle,
Somehow I don't think that information should have been shared on an open forum such as this.
I don't know if this is fact or just another "urban myth". But, if true, then some well meaning folks may get into deep doodoo now you have outed this practice.
Duffy Shocked Shocked

You are probably right. Information deleted.
Duffy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted my quote too Laughing Laughing
alansilverlining

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: ?!? Reply with quote

Mr. English wrote:
Does anyone know more about Dr. Mansouri, Program Director?

Yes. Let me start off by saying that I found him so impossible to work with that I had to resign. If you've already accepted a job offer with this guy, my sincere commiserations. If you haven't and you're mulling it over, get out now and congratulate yourself on the lucky escape you've had.

He's really something special. Never in all my years of teaching have I met somebody who:

a) displays such a lack of organisation and logic;
b) appears so completely uninterested in the ideas of professionalism and politeness;
c) takes public delight in any opportunity to show off his very prevalent malicious streak;
d) has a PhD in English (or was it worm farming?), yet seems unable to adequately produce any kind of text in the language, despite being head of the department.

Consider yourself warned!
Gypsy Girl

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: ?!? Reply with quote

alansilverlining wrote:
Mr. English wrote:

Yes. Let me start off by saying that I found him so impossible to work with that I had to resign. If you've already accepted a job offer with this guy, my sincere commiserations. If you haven't and you're mulling it over, get out now and congratulate yourself on the lucky escape you've had.

He's really something special. Never in all my years of teaching have I met somebody who:

b) appears so completely uninterested in the ideas of professionalism and politeness;
c) takes public delight in any opportunity to show off his very prevalent malicious streak;
d) has a PhD in English (or was it worm farming?), yet seems unable to adequately produce any kind of text in the language, despite being head of the department.

Hello alansilverlining -

your posting is absolutely contrary to a future co-teacher I'll be working with at A'Sharquiya Uni, who wrote to the new group in an email the following about his experience working with Dr. Mansouri for a year in Oman recently:

'He is honest, hardworking, pragmatic, invariably affable, easily approached, and comfortably knowledgeable..' and ' I declined to sign the 'contract renewal' offered and have followed him here, for less money (sadly true!).
I don't know anything about Ibra, nor this new university, but having "Dr. Ali" as the Director is as positive and promising a beginning an English Department can have'

Do you have specific stories to illustrate, in your experience working with Dr. Mansouri, why you think he is so impossible to work with?

Thank you -
Sirens of Cyprus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: ?!? Reply with quote

alansilverlining wrote:
Mr. English wrote:

More gory details, please. Did you get a look at the housing, your office, etc. before you left? Did you get a letter of release? Did they pay your way home?
alansilverlining

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: ?!? Reply with quote

Gypsy Girl wrote:

your posting is absolutely contrary to a future co-teacher I'll be working with at A'Sharquiya Uni, who wrote to the new group in an email the following about his experience working with Dr. Mansouri for a year in Oman recently:

'He is honest, hardworking, pragmatic, invariably affable, easily approached, and comfortably knowledgeable..' and ' I declined to sign the 'contract renewal' offered and have followed him here, for less money (sadly true!).
I don't know anything about Ibra, nor this new university, but having "Dr. Ali" as the Director is as positive and promising a beginning an English Department can have'

Hello Dr. Ali, is this you?

Another warning guys, this man has form for fabricating his own recommendations. Talk about narcissism!
eslbear

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, dear, looks like alansilverlining is grasping at straws....

smells like a disgruntled ex-employee who lost his job. Chin up my dear, it does no one any good to cling to bitterness and spite, move on and brighten up your outlook - life is too short !

After all, your pseudonym is " silver lining" !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: