Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sharqiya University?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fernwood

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oilmart2 wrote:
Is anyone going to answer my Q about working at this joint? Is it a decent outfit to work for? I am waiting for my ticket to go. It's only $2500 a month but I don't want to go to saudi, which is only 500 more anyway. Is there a hotel (bar) nearby to relax in? Do they pay on time?

Yeah, actually, I was searching for responses to posts like this myself. Haven't seen an answer but would certainly like some information. Do report back if you get an answer about the institution or the salary as I too am debating between Oman and KSA. Thanks.
Space Teacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fernwood wrote:
oilmart2 wrote:
Is anyone going to answer my Q about working at this joint? Is it a decent outfit to work for? I am waiting for my ticket to go. It's only $2500 a month but I don't want to go to saudi, which is only 500 more anyway. Is there a hotel (bar) nearby to relax in? Do they pay on time?

Yeah, actually, I was searching for responses to posts like this myself. Haven't seen an answer but would certainly like some information. Do report back if you get an answer about the institution or the salary as I too am debating between Oman and KSA. Thanks.

Note the alternative spelling for this institution in the 2 threads below.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=91869

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=91801
Myrrh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oilmart & fernwood: please read the link "Sharqiyah University, yay or nay?" It is very detailed and many former teachers have written about pay and their experience there. It is locked, but still readable and full of valuable information. If you go, go armed.
Fernwood

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Myrrh wrote:
oilmart & fernwood: please read the link "Sharqiyah University, yay or nay?" It is very detailed and many former teachers have written about pay and their experience there. It is locked, but still readable and full of valuable information. If you go, go armed.

Wonderful...thank you. I will definitely do that.
shebab

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They just posted to the Employment forum that they are looking for EIGHTY new teachers! And they are offering 1500 OR per month! What's up with that???
Myrrh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What has just happened is wonderful news - the university has sacked their recruiter. Teachers will now be employed directly by the uni. The salary and benefits are legit. Most negative posts (mine included) were because of the harsh and illegal treatment of the teachers by the recruiter not by the university admin. That is a huge difference. More to come as details emerge.
shebab

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Myrhh, sounds almost too good to be true...do you know if that salary includes housing, or is a housing allowance an extra perk? That seems like quite a high salary for Oman... Surprised
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ad says "A tax-free salary of RO 1400- 1500 per month depending upon qualifications and experience. The salary includes accommodation and transportation."

So, the salary is thus only about 1000-1100 (give or take) which is about the norm.

VS
madrileno

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... Interesting developments.

Seems the previous posters in the, "Sharqiyah University - Yay or Nay" thread were correct in their descriptions of the recruiter's mishandling of the GFP and its employees.

Hopefully the University will be able to turn things around and improve the situation. But if it's like other private institutions Oman, I have a feeling it's going to be just another failed university sitting in the middle of the desert (literally).
frankincensed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that ELS has been driven back to the hole in Muscat they crawled out of, and their previous practice of hiring drunks and teachers who obviously faked their credentials is now a thing of the past, A'Sharqiyah has a chance of being a very good workplace. I think this offer is quite legit. As for the accomodation issue, apartments in Ibra are very cheap; 120 RO will get you a huge place, so this offer is still better than most in this country.
Expat101

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
The ad says "A tax-free salary of RO 1400- 1500 per month depending upon qualifications and experience. The salary includes accommodation and transportation."

So, the salary is thus only about 1000-1100 (give or take) which is about the norm.

VS

The salary sounds good to me, especially if it's really 'tax-free!'

I'm wondering about housing for 80 teachers in this small city. How would such a large number of teachers find housing on their own at the same time? I'm thinking the university would have to help. Does anyone know what the average cost for housing would be in this area? Is this quote
'apartments in Ibra are very cheap; 120 RO will get you a huge place'
true or would it be a fairly nice place at that price?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can assure you that it is "tax-free" as far as Oman is concerned. There is no income tax. As to your home country, you would need to check the laws and conform to them. I can only say that it is also tax-free for the US if you prepare the proper IRS forms.

VS
madrileno

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm wondering about housing for 80 teachers in this small city. How would such a large number of teachers find housing on their own at the same time? I'm thinking the university would have to help. Does anyone know what the average cost for housing would be in this area? Is this quote
'apartments in Ibra are very cheap; 120 RO will get you a huge place'
true or would it be a fairly nice place at that price?

When I was there in 2010/11, all the teachers were in one building. There were only 22 units there. I'm assuming that now that the University has taken over the GFP, teachers are responsible for finding their own accommodation.

Ibra is experiencing something of a mini construction boom. The government in putting a lot of money in the development of the interior, and Ibra is one of the beneficiary wilayats of this. When we were there, there were construction projects going on throughout the town, including the installation of a new water line connecting the city to the coast. I'm sure new apartment buildings have opened up in the 12 months since I was in Ibra. They built and opened one in the lot next to our building the year we were there.

As far as prices go, 120 RO will get you a huge place. But it'll be in the poor part of town. And it will be made out of mud.

200 RO is more realistic if you want a newer place that isn't made out of mud, has space for aircons, and dates from after the 1970s. You can get a four bedroom villa for 250 RO (as one of my acquaintances at Ibra College of Technology did), but you'll be further down the highway from the centre of town.
posh

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madrileno wrote:
And it will be made out of mud.

Hehe Very Happy That cheered me up in this 43C sandstorm.

On a sidenote, was chatting with an Indian colleague this morning and he was saying that Oman is getting dangerous for expats in regard to random street attacks. He was talking about some Indian friends of his who were having problems there.
betacygnus

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
I can assure you that it is "tax-free" as far as Oman is concerned. There is no income tax. As to your home country, you would need to check the laws and conform to them. I can only say that it is also tax-free for the US if you prepare the proper IRS forms.

VS

If you are a US citizen, your salary in Oman will be high enough such that you will need to file a 1040 each April, but your salary will be low enough such that you will not need to pay (at least I haven't had any visits from men in black suits, yet). I found a good website, www.taxact.com, which allowed me to file for free, and even allowed me to create my own W-2's on-the-fly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: